• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

after careful consideration mind made up on r-51

Started by iquit, December 02, 2016, 11:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iquit

I have shot several hundred rounds through my R-51 and even though I have the bugs worked out it is not worth the money. now some will not like this post but it is my money and my opinion. I have 4 old model 51 Remington's 2 380 and 2 32 acp. and really like them. the new Remington just isn't what I expected. the recoil is excessive for a 9mm. it shoots  low the slide sometime cuts my hand, and really isn't all that accurate.
maybe it is because it just isn't a fun gun to shoot. I am sure I cant get back anywhere what I paid for it $380.00 so I will put it in the back of the safe and someday when on of my kids needs or wants a handgun I will give it to them. I trust the pistol to function and work for self defense it just isn't as good as several other hand guns I own. please everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. if you love yours it is ok with me.

Chuck S

My R51 excels in it's intended role as a small carry pistol.  Fun to shoot?  Got nothing to do with that mission.  As long as this pistol reliably shoots the entire magazine it's fulfilled it's mission.  A reload is carried but shooting a complete magazine in a defensive situation is unlikely.  If I was expecting to fight hordes of attackers I'd be carrying my M4 Carbine.

Never considered this as a range pistol and if it fails at that (see above) I'll still keep it.

-- Chuck

midstroke

I actually love mine. Took a few hundred rounds to break in good though. Between my shield, m&p9c, and kahr Pm9 the r51 is the most accurate for me anyway.

iquit

Quote from: Chuck S on December 03, 2016, 11:47:16 AM
My R51 excels in it's intended role as a small carry pistol.  Fun to shoot?  Got nothing to do with that mission.  As long as this pistol reliably shoots the entire magazine it's fulfilled it's mission.  A reload is carried but shooting a complete magazine in a defensive situation is unlikely.  If I was expecting to fight hordes of attackers I'd be carrying my M4 Carbine.

Never considered this as a range pistol and if it fails at that (see above) I'll still keep it.

-- Chuck

if I gun is fun to shoot it gets shot and any pistol you are going to carry when your life could be on the line needs to be shot and shot often.. but as I said in my post everyone is allowed to have an opinion. I would carry the r-51 but why when I isn't as good as other pistols I own that (  are more fun to shoot ) more accurate as powerful and easier to control for fast shooting.

GunFrogg

Hey Argie1891,
Sorry to hear ya ended up with a gun ya don't like. 

Since your R51 is probably in excellent condition with low round count, one thing ya might consider (if ya have not already) is a trade in. Although, I think it would be cool to have the R51 since you have the original pistol (in 2 calibers) it was modeled after.
He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight

knoxco

I have had my R51 out to the range 3 times. Problem # 1 it won't chamber the first round properly. I have to lock the slide back, insert the magazine and then release the slide. Every time. Problem # 2 on average nearly one round in every magazine will lodge nose do in the magazine. Problem # 3 at least once in every magazine there is a failure to extract and eject the empty shell. Sometimes it is still in the chamber with the next round jammed up against it. Sometimes the empty shell is lodged in the ejection port. Problem # 4 three times the slide has failed to move fully forward and fully chamber the next round. I reach up with my thumb, push the slide ahead the final 1/8 inch and pull the trigger. The type of ammo makes no difference. Round nose, hollow points, flat nosed, different brands, it's all the same. All were brass case ammo. All shot through my Ruger P89 flawlessly and accurately. So this gun is a waste, which is a shame. I think it shoots great when it shoots. It certainly appeals to me in terms of looks, but a gun that is not reliable has no value.

lklawson

Quote from: knoxco on December 07, 2016, 09:51:26 PMProblem # 2 on average nearly one round in every magazine will lodge nose do in the magazine.
There seems to be some issues with these mags, probably related to the fact that 9mm Luger is tapered.  There are some other 9mm guns which sometimes need the magazines "tweaked."  In this case, I suspect that the mag issue is related to both the taper of the cartridge and also the angle of the stack.  Those two combined together make the top rounds tend to point down more and will more often have a nose-down jam.

Failing another magazine redesign by Remington (which has been rumored to be in the works), there may be some tweaks which can be done.  Sometimes, with some other guns, the magazine spring is in backwards.

QuoteProblem # 3 at least once in every magazine there is a failure to extract and eject the empty shell. Sometimes it is still in the chamber with the next round jammed up against it. Sometimes the empty shell is lodged in the ejection port.
There is clearly a problem with the extractor.  Call Remington and report the issue.  They will most likely want to service the pistol.

QuoteProblem # 4 three times the slide has failed to move fully forward and fully chamber the next round. I reach up with my thumb, push the slide ahead the final 1/8 inch and pull the trigger.
Does it do this more often after shooting for a while?  It could be that the gun is getting "sticky" for lack of a better term.  It happened to me once at the range and I re-oiled the rails & Pedersen block, thus solving the issue.  I keep a small tube of oil in my range bag for this very reason.  I often shoot .22 pistols, which are well known to have his problem.

After that, I started greasing the rails and Pedersen block and haven't had the problem again.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

knoxco

You make good points Kirk. And I have contacted Remington and they will be sending me what I need to ship them the gun for evaluation.

I have several other handguns which have been totally reliable from day 1, so thus far the R51 suffers very badly in comparison in my experience. I really do want the R51 to work for me, so I'll wait to hear from Remington once they have evaluated the gun.

iquit

I have never heard of a model of firearm with as many problems as the model 51 Remington. from what I have read there have been a large number being sent in for repair. for a pistol that has been recalled once and supposed to have the bugs worked out it dosent speak well of this model. I have and still think Remington is one of the best firearm manufactures out there. I will keep my m-51 to go along with the 32's and 380 model 51 pistols I own just to have a set, but it wont get shot a lot. another issue is the slide wants to cut the web of my hand it only drew blood once but someday I will put the slide in my mill and round the back of the slide a bit. it is way to sharp. I will use the mill so I can get both sides the same and have it look like Remington had a better idea.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: lklawson on December 08, 2016, 09:31:01 AM
Quote from: knoxco on December 07, 2016, 09:51:26 PMProblem # 2 on average nearly one round in every magazine will lodge nose do in the magazine.
There seems to be some issues with these mags, probably related to the fact that 9mm Luger is tapered.  There are some other 9mm guns which sometimes need the magazines "tweaked."  In this case, I suspect that the mag issue is related to both the taper of the cartridge and also the angle of the stack.  Those two combined together make the top rounds tend to point down more and will more often have a nose-down jam.

Failing another magazine redesign by Remington (which has been rumored to be in the works), there may be some tweaks which can be done.  Sometimes, with some other guns, the magazine spring is in backwards.

QuoteProblem # 3 at least once in every magazine there is a failure to extract and eject the empty shell. Sometimes it is still in the chamber with the next round jammed up against it. Sometimes the empty shell is lodged in the ejection port.
There is clearly a problem with the extractor.  Call Remington and report the issue.  They will most likely want to service the pistol.

QuoteProblem # 4 three times the slide has failed to move fully forward and fully chamber the next round. I reach up with my thumb, push the slide ahead the final 1/8 inch and pull the trigger.
Does it do this more often after shooting for a while?  It could be that the gun is getting "sticky" for lack of a better term.  It happened to me once at the range and I re-oiled the rails & Pedersen block, thus solving the issue.  I keep a small tube of oil in my range bag for this very reason.  I often shoot .22 pistols, which are well known to have his problem.

After that, I started greasing the rails and Pedersen block and haven't had the problem again.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Kirk,
     My R51 continues to go bang every time since I started locking the slide inserting the loaded mag and letting the slide slam forward. (Slingshot) On my R51, if I lock the slide back
there is a 3/8s clearance between the slide and my hand. I think the soreness comes from the recess  for the lemon squeezer. Simple solution, I wear shooting gloves.
No muss, no fuss.  Love the little gun despite the gloves. :=}
So many guns, so little time!

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: GunFrogg on December 06, 2016, 08:14:41 AM
Hey Argie1891,
Sorry to hear ya ended up with a gun ya don't like. 

Since your R51 is probably in excellent condition with low round count, one thing ya might consider (if ya have not already) is a trade in. Although, I think it would be cool to have the R51 since you have the original pistol (in 2 calibers) it was modeled after.

Howdy, GunFrog,
In reply to your comment about the channel locks, I took the rubber sleeves off a set of pliers and put over the jaws on the channel locks.
That barrel is a booger to grab hold of with that (*&^% action spring.  :=}
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!