• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Trijicon tritium sights for the R51

Started by lklawson, October 27, 2016, 01:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lklawson

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: lklawson on October 27, 2016, 01:44:32 PM
Trijicon is now offering tritium night sights for the R51.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Iklawson,
     Thanks for the heads up.  Too late for me though, I already bought  a Crimson trace unit.   I don't need, I don't need,,,,  oh heck, I am gonna buy a set.
Blackie.
So many guns, so little time!

T3

Guys,

I purchased the Trijicon Remington R51 Night Sight Set 600798 on Friday and am waiting on the delivery.  I have read several other posts about owners whose R51 had sight elevation issues.  Those of you that have already installed the new Trijicon sights, did they help to raise the aim point?  Mine has averaged about 4" low over the previous 900 rounds.  I went out Friday and shot another couple of hundred rounds (Winchester white box) and strangely enough was only shooting groups about 2" low.  At least that is the 1.5" area where there was no paper left on the target.  I was compensating by using a red marker and making an "X"  above the center on my targets.  I sent Remington two emails asking for a solution and after not receiving a reply, thought this might be the best way to correct the issue.  I do not want to remove material from the dovetail to raise the rear sight if the Trijicon sights will work.  If anyone else has installed them and corrected the elevation issue, let the rest of know how they worked out.

BTW...I have used the four Gen 2 mags and four original Gen 1 mags, fully loaded with 7 rounds, and have not had any problem racking the slide.  Typically, burning up ammo at the range, I insert the mags per spec with the slide locked back.  But the times I have inserted them with the slide NOT locked open, mine easily racks and chambers.  I had a stovepipe on my first magazine, but know other issues since.  I did have one of the Gen 1 mags that did not seat (embarrassingly fell out when I racked the slide), but that was probably because I did not push it in completely.  I am fortunate that none of my mags have required any manipulation of the followers.  But, like the old saying goes, "what ever trips your trigger"...you do what you have to do.  Removing 3/16" from the legs on the follower seems to have worked for Blackie and Kirk.

Lovin' my R51 Gen 2 more and more every day, but still mostly carrying my Alabama Inaugural commemorative RM380 !  They both work GREAT.
T,3

lklawson

Quote from: T3 on February 20, 2017, 05:13:17 PMRemoving 3/16" from the legs on the follower seems to have worked for Blackie and Kirk.
I did not have to do this for my R51 magazines.  My Gen 2 mags seem to work fine.  I understand how the concept works, however, because I trimmed the follower on my CZ52 magazines so that I could add an extra round in, from 8 standard up to 9 modified.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

SCurmudgeon

T3,  Did you get those Trijicon tritium sights installed, and if so, did they move your point of impact?

T3

SCurmudgeon and the rest of you with Sights set so you are shooting low.
My R51 Gen 2 was consistently grouping about 4" low and 2" left.  Left to right is a simple fix, but elevating the front Sights is above my pay grade. 
I  received the new trijicon front and rear sights.  I  installed the rear Sights  slightly left of the center mark from the original.  I went to the range and ran 200 rounds through with Winchester FMJ 115g.  The grouping was so tight there was no paper left within 3" where the bullseye was.  Last week I ran another 100 through and got similar results.   At this point, I am not planning on installing the new front Sights.  They resemble the same style and look as the original    I don't want to mess up a good thing. 

Happy with my new rear Sights  and  my  R51,
T,3

Thom9mil

I might have to give those a try. Mine is shooting low and right. I think I have the right portion solved (range time on Thursday) but would like to get the elevation portion solved also.

Did this come with install tools or do I need to take to a gunsmith? Thanks.
Remington R51, DW Guardian, Fusion CCO, Kimber Micro 9 and some 22's.

lklawson

Quote from: Thom9mil on April 04, 2017, 04:29:22 PM
I might have to give those a try. Mine is shooting low and right. I think I have the right portion solved (range time on Thursday) but would like to get the elevation portion solved also.

The R51 has a factory set "Military Center Hold" sight alignment.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: lklawson on October 27, 2016, 01:44:32 PM
Trijicon is now offering tritium night sights for the R51.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Heck, Kirk,
Now ya tell me!
I already got a CT red dot.  I train with my carry weapons from 15 feet.  I do not aim, I point.
I might let my son in law and grandson know.  My grandson is on the job.
Blackie

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: lklawson on April 05, 2017, 10:55:41 AM
Quote from: Thom9mil on April 04, 2017, 04:29:22 PM

The R51 has a factory set "Military Center Hold" sight alignment.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Kirk,
     I use the "Military Center Hold" and after adjusting the rear sight, my R51 is dead on.
Blackie

Thom9mil

I'll give this a try today. If this pans out -- cool. Thanks.

plunkster

Mine is right on (with 115s and 124s) using the combat hold, but shoots a couple of inches low with 147s. Go figure! BTW, I have shot a lot of IMI and it's great!!!

Thom9mil

Still a no go with elevation using the military hold. This little fella is about 4 inches low. Sigh.
New front site ordered. We'll see.

1911SHOOTER