• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Ruger SR9c - new to me

Started by Robert, September 26, 2016, 09:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert

Just traded a Springfield Armory XD .45 for this Ruger SR9c.

See bottom of this post for a photo of the XD .45 I traded away.

I had been trying to sell the SA .45 for a long time in several websites etc. I relisted it in armslist and got a trade offer. Was not looking at the Ruger SR9c before that, but after the trade offer I took a good hard look at it, read what people were saying, saw that people seemed to like it and for some good reasons so I decided to go ahead with the trade.

Value was roughly the same, I had 3 mags with the XD .45 and the Ruger came with 3 mags and was in great shape.

It seems people like the plastic guns in smaller 9mm versions and the XD .45 was not getting much attention. It is actually a little larger then a 1911 .45. as I have one and did a side by side comparison.

I thought since it was a 9mm and smaller, I might be able to sell it off a little more easy then the XD .45.

After I got it in my hands I begin to think I might like to hang on to it. Not sure about that as I have not shot it yet.

The mags come in 2 sizes, it came with two 17 round mags and one 10 round mag. The 17 round mags have a extension sleeve that makes them look a lot better. This makes it an 18 round gun, 17 in the mag and 1 in chamber. This makes it an ideal night stand/home defense gun fitted with the 17 round mag.

If I keep it, I will put a crimson trace laser on it also. I like lasers.

Concerning the sights, it has both wind-age and elevation adjustable rear site, a good thing, but no night sites.

One thing the Ruger has that I had previously wanted to get away from is a safety. I once owned a Glock and it took a long time for me to become OK with not having a safety but after seeing the other safety features and long trigger pull and reading how many times under the stress of the situation, cops using guns with safeties forgot to put the safety off in the heat of a gun fight. After that I got used to the idea of no safety and liked it.

Now with this Ruger, it does have a safety, so ?....

Reading up on it, the reviews said because the Ruger has a very crisp trigger with almost no take up, the safety was necessary as unlike a Glock, pull the trigger even a little and it goes BANG.

One thing that did help concerning the safety was this, when I held the gun out in a firing stance, I could reach up and flick the safety off easily with my thumb and not lose my firing grip on the gun. In other words should I forget to take the safety off, I can flick it off and fire pretty quickly. If I did have to bring the gun back down, adjust my grip or use my other hand to flick the safety off, no question this gun would not stay in my ownership.

After I got hold of it I put a snap cap in and tried the trigger and as I read in the reviews, it seems very good. I do like a good trigger so that was a great point that helped me liked the gun.

It also has a loaded chamber indicator, I did not like the "idea", but after I had the gun in hand, I decided I did like that. It also has an indicator to show the gun is cocked.

When I pick up the gun, I know it's status as loaded or not and cocked or not. Got to admit I do like that. I have handled this gun, put it away, next day opened the drawer and picked it up etc. After a few days I got a favorable impression of the loaded and cocked indicators.

If I teach my wife to use this gun, I know if I teach her to use these loaded and cocked indicators, she will probably like these features also.

A bad thing....

A mag must be inserted to fire the gun. Gun reviewers do not like this feature. This feature can be disabled ether by yourself or by a gunsmith. This gun I traded for has this feature disabled and will fire without a mag inserted. Why would they build it like this?, is this supposed to be a safety feature?

If your mag is low and you pull it to reload and the bad guy pops around the corner.... and you have to insert a mag before you can use the gun to defend yourself? Who's idea was this?

A gun is a deadly weapon, it should not be in your hand in a defense situation unless you know what your doing and how to use it, so why build it so it can be disabled if the mag gets removed?

What if you end up in a hand to hand close quarter battle and the gun gets banged around and the mag falls free? You have one round left in the gun and suddenly you get the chance to end the fight and shoot the bad guy...

But no, your gun has been disabled by some do good nanny mod that the lawyers made the manufacture put in, in a misguided attempt at safety? The only good thing about this feature is it can safely be disabled.

So the final decision - will I keep this gun will come after I shoot it. Been busy and have not gone to the range in a while, got to do that soon and get some rounds down range.

One thing i do have to say, this is one good looking gun specially with the 10 round mag. The photos don't do it justice. To see better photos Click here

Robert

XD .45 I traded away below

GunFrogg

Magazine disconnect feature - Many opinions on this I have heard. I think this site states well some of the logic for it  http://safeconcealedcarry.com/selecting-handgun-magazine-disconnect-feature/.

Outside of all the tactical reasons one benefit is once you remove your mag if you did not clear the chamber, you have one more safety feature to protect the loaded gun you just put away. Fortunately we have choices so we can have this feature or not :)
He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Robert on September 26, 2016, 09:55:18 PM

Just traded a Springfield Armory XD .45 for this Ruger SR9c.

See bottom of this post for a photo of the XD .45 I traded away.

I had been trying to sell the SA .45 for a long time in several websites etc. I relisted it in armslist and got a trade offer. Was not looking at the Ruger SR9c before that, but after the trade offer I took a good hard look at it, read what people were saying, saw that people seemed to like it and for some good reasons so I decided to go ahead with the trade.

Value was roughly the same, I had 3 mags with the XD .45 and the Ruger came with 3 mags and was in great shape.

It seems people like the plastic guns in smaller 9mm versions and the XD .45 was not getting much attention. It is actually a little larger then a 1911 .45. as I have one and did a side by side comparison.

I thought since it was a 9mm and smaller, I might be able to sell it off a little more easy then the XD .45.

After I got it in my hands I begin to think I might like to hang on to it. Not sure about that as I have not shot it yet.

The mags come in 2 sizes, it came with two 17 round mags and one 10 round mag. The 17 round mags have a extension sleeve that makes them look a lot better. This makes it an 18 round gun, 17 in the mag and 1 in chamber. This makes it an ideal night stand/home defense gun fitted with the 17 round mag.

If I keep it, I will put a crimson trace laser on it also. I like lasers.

Concerning the sights, it has both wind-age and elevation adjustable rear site, a good thing, but no night sites.

One thing the Ruger has that I had previously wanted to get away from is a safety. I once owned a Glock and it took a long time for me to become OK with not having a safety but after seeing the other safety features and long trigger pull and reading how many times under the stress of the situation, cops using guns with safeties forgot to put the safety off in the heat of a gun fight. After that I got used to the idea of no safety and liked it.

Now with this Ruger, it does have a safety, so ?....

Reading up on it, the reviews said because the Ruger has a very crisp trigger with almost no take up, the safety was necessary as unlike a Glock, pull the trigger even a little and it goes BANG.

One thing that did help concerning the safety was this, when I held the gun out in a firing stance, I could reach up and flick the safety off easily with my thumb and not lose my firing grip on the gun. In other words should I forget to take the safety off, I can flick it off and fire pretty quickly. If I did have to bring the gun back down, adjust my grip or use my other hand to flick the safety off, no question this gun would not stay in my ownership.

After I got hold of it I put a snap cap in and tried the trigger and as I read in the reviews, it seems very good. I do like a good trigger so that was a great point that helped me liked the gun.

It also has a loaded chamber indicator, I did not like the "idea", but after I had the gun in hand, I decided I did like that. It also has an indicator to show the gun is cocked.

When I pick up the gun, I know it's status as loaded or not and cocked or not. Got to admit I do like that. I have handled this gun, put it away, next day opened the drawer and picked it up etc. After a few days I got a favorable impression of the loaded and cocked indicators.

If I teach my wife to use this gun, I know if I teach her to use these loaded and cocked indicators, she will probably like these features also.

A bad thing....

A mag must be inserted to fire the gun. Gun reviewers do not like this feature. This feature can be disabled ether by yourself or by a gunsmith. This gun I traded for has this feature disabled and will fire without a mag inserted. Why would they build it like this?, is this supposed to be a safety feature?

If your mag is low and you pull it to reload and the bad guy pops around the corner.... and you have to insert a mag before you can use the gun to defend yourself? Who's idea was this?

A gun is a deadly weapon, it should not be in your hand in a defense situation unless you know what your doing and how to use it, so why build it so it can be disabled if the mag gets removed?

What if you end up in a hand to hand close quarter battle and the gun gets banged around and the mag falls free? You have one round left in the gun and suddenly you get the chance to end the fight and shoot the bad guy...

But no, your gun has been disabled by some do good nanny mod that the lawyers made the manufacture put in, in a misguided attempt at safety? The only good thing about this feature is it can safely be disabled.

So the final decision - will I keep this gun will come after I shoot it. Been busy and have not gone to the range in a while, got to do that soon and get some rounds down range.

One thing i do have to say, this is one good looking gun specially with the 10 round mag. The photos don't do it justice. To see better photos Click here

Robert

XD .45 I traded away below

Robert,
     I like you see no need for a magazine disconnect.  If you practice good firearm safety, it is unnecessary. 
As an aside, after a situation where you had to discharge your weapon in Self Defense,   An ambitious prosecutor might use the fact that you disabled
the Mag disconnect as an excuse to shoot the thug.  Many prosecutors  do not believe in using whatever it takes to protect you and your family.
Even the act of upgrading your sights inflames them.
Here in Texas, we have Law Shield.  A group of attorneys that defend legal shootings.
Blackie

https://www.uslawshield.com/

So many guns, so little time!

Texas-Mark

I too hate mag disconnects and remove them from any gun that has one. The only valid argument for them is so that if in a scuffle, you "might" be able to drop the mag to make the gun unusable by the attacker. And IMO that is even a weak argument. Any other argument is also flawed. If anything, I think it makes the gun more unsafe. Take the LC9s for example. You must pull the trigger to disassemble it. They even give you a fake mag to insert for this purpose. Now of course one should always clear the chamber first, but IMO this is a ND waiting to happen when someone just sticks the fake mag in and pulls the trigger when there is still a chambered round. Luckily even Ruger saw the flaw in this, and offer the gun without it.

As for loaded chamber indicators, most seem to be pretty useless. However, the one I do like is on my Bersa 380 CC. It can easily be seen from the firing position but yet not in your direct line of sight.

lklawson

Quote from: Texas-Mark on January 29, 2017, 12:17:18 PM
I too hate mag disconnects and remove them from any gun that has one. The only valid argument for them is so that if in a scuffle, you "might" be able to drop the mag to make the gun unusable by the attacker.
I disagree.  I make the argument for it in this article (which I also linked to above):
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/In-Defense-of-the-Magazine-Disconnect.html

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Texas-Mark

Quote from: lklawson on January 31, 2017, 08:25:41 AM
Quote from: Texas-Mark on January 29, 2017, 12:17:18 PM
I too hate mag disconnects and remove them from any gun that has one. The only valid argument for them is so that if in a scuffle, you "might" be able to drop the mag to make the gun unusable by the attacker.
I disagree.  I make the argument for it in this article (which I also linked to above):
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/In-Defense-of-the-Magazine-Disconnect.html

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

My point was that some gun manufactures like Beretta for example offered mag disconnects "by request" from law enforcement agencies. The reasoning was as I stated - to allow the LEO to drop the mag in a scuffle because in many cases a LEO had his gun taken from him and used against him. Of course mag disconnects have been around for a long tine. I'm just saying that IMO that is the only scenario where having one makes any sense. In all other cases, I still think it makes the gun less safe because it promotes not following standard gun safety "rules".

"Oh, I don't need to unload my gun because I removed the mag." Followed by "I forgot there was a round in the chamber when I went to dry fire".

lklawson

Quote from: Texas-Mark on January 31, 2017, 06:54:05 PMI still think it makes the gun less safe because it promotes not following standard gun safety "rules".
I understand where you're coming from.  The difference to me is that I don't believe that their existence encourages ignoring safety procedures.  In contrast, I think that it just acknowledges that every once in a while, even the most stringent will "slip" simply due to being human.  Humans aren't robots.

That said, there are some caveats to my position.  First, I don't think that the device should replace safety training and adherence to safety practices, certainly not any more than any other safety does.  Does a thumb safety, grip safety, or a Glock-ish trigger safety man than a user can ignore Cooper's 4?  Nay!  Second, I don't think that magazine lockouts should be mandatory on all pistols.  This is a buyer decision, sort of like anti-lock brakes.  If you, as an educated and informed user, don't want it, then no one should force you to use it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Chokejug

I DON'T like mag disconnects, and my SR9c's has been removed!
If someone "takes it away from me", I am in a world of hurt anyway.
And will be reaching for the next weapon, which won't have a disconnect or even a manual safety..

Lever safeties, two problems, and that is that there are two positions!

And the damned things are always in the wrong one!

You want it off, it's on!
You want it on, and it's of course, OFF!

I 'had', key word here, a Sig P938 and that damned thing was always off in the holster, at least a third of the time when drawing it!  No matter what I had been doing.
I even removed the "off side" lever and the damned thing still "went off safe" for me!
Best thing I ever did, was sell it to some left handed guy who had to have it replaced.

Now, I haven't carried the SR9c all that much, I prefer something a little smaller ad slimmer to carry, it's the bedside weapon of choice and so far, I have seen it "go off", only once.  Don't know the cause there either, but at least it appears to be very rare, TG!  And yes, it does have a good trigger!  So good that the safety MUST work right!

1911SHOOTER

My Opinion,
magazine safety:  No.
Thumb safety:      No, except 1911
Lemon Squeezer in grip:  yes.
I carry two weapons,  a 1911 Hi Cap,  and have carried 1911s for 65 years,  I know my
pistol, and it's limitations.
I carry an R51 for backup,  I trust it, I never put my finger on the trigger until I am
ready to shoot.
Best safety feature of all.  Keep your finger off the trigger until needed.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!