• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Reassembly after field strip

Started by bonorden, August 25, 2016, 12:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonorden

According to the manual, when putting the slide back on, you do not have to grip and hold the barrel to be able to slide it back onto the frame.  However, the youtube videos all seem to demonstrate putting it back on while holding the barrel.

For me, I have to hold the barrel for it to slide back on...but it sure would be easier not to have to hold it.

How about for you?

lklawson

Quote from: bonorden on August 25, 2016, 12:58:13 PM
According to the manual, when putting the slide back on, you do not have to grip and hold the barrel to be able to slide it back onto the frame.  However, the youtube videos all seem to demonstrate putting it back on while holding the barrel.

For me, I have to hold the barrel for it to slide back on...but it sure would be easier not to have to hold it.

How about for you?
I've done it both ways.  The way that Rem demonstrates in their video is far easier and preferable.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

DanOh

I too have struggled with the reassembly, especially with my old weak hands.  The first time I tried it took me at least 15 minutes to get it on and I was not sure what l did to make it go on.  After spending some time practicing l found that if l get to the point where the slide stops, l change my grip to an overhand grip and then proceed to rack the slide.  This will push the barrel forward slightly and allow the firing pin block to rock down and slide over top of the frame rails.

tresmonos

Quote from: DanOh on September 03, 2016, 06:49:46 PM
I too have struggled with the reassembly, especially with my old weak hands.  The first time I tried it took me at least 15 minutes to get it on and I was not sure what l did to make it go on.  After spending some time practicing l found that if l get to the point where the slide stops, l change my grip to an overhand grip and then proceed to rack the slide.  This will push the barrel forward slightly and allow the firing pin block to rock down and slide over top of the frame rails.

Thanks DanOh. 

DanOh

Hey Tres, welcome to the new forum.  Do I know you from someplace ;D?  The method I use to get the slide back on is working very well for me.  I think that is what is shown in the Rem video but I didn't catch what the guy in the video was doing at first.  It first appeared he was just sliding it back on the frame but a closer watch made me think he was in deed racking the slide.

1911SHOOTER

I just field stripped my R51 after a range trip, and the guide rails on the frame will not slide under
the breech block. After three hours of cussin' and swearin' I called Remington support and talked
to Justin Emerson. He had me email him photos of what was happening, and called me back,
gave me a case number and is mailing me the package to return the pistol to the shop.
No muss no fuss.

So many guns, so little time!

1911SHOOTER

I got my R51 back together. After I finally figured out that the barrel needed to be pulled forward.
It did not say that in Remington's video.  >:( 

lklawson

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on October 02, 2016, 12:23:11 PM
I got my R51 back together. After I finally figured out that the barrel needed to be pulled forward.
It did not say that in Remington's video.  >:(
It doesn't need to be, but it makes it a lot easier.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

JDCRAB

Go to wallyworld and but one of those little spring clamps with the plastic covers on the tips, and when you first rack the slide, clamp it to the end of the barrel.

Then drop the magazine and remove the take down pin and the slide will come right off no problem.

use the clamp for re-assembly and you will have no problems.
Fealty to the 2nd amendment forever.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: JDCRAB on November 15, 2017, 08:17:18 AM
Go to wallyworld and but one of those little spring clamps with the plastic covers on the tips, and when you first rack the slide, clamp it to the end of the barrel.

Then drop the magazine and remove the take down pin and the slide will come right off no problem.

use the clamp for re-assembly and you will have no problems.

JDCrab,
     I had some of those, but the rubber was not too substantial.   I got a set on
Amazon that work great.   Also good for grip exercises!  :<)
Blackie

https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Grip-VGP58100-58100-Spring-Clamps/dp/B00002244Z/ref=lp_553166_1_2_sspa/132-1413146-3911340?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1510758550&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1