• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

R51 Slide Issue

Started by bonorden, August 25, 2016, 06:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tucker

Got the R51 back from Remington after only 2 months >:(

Slide was replaced. Functions fine. Still shoots low, but the "battle zero" may be the excuse.

Their repair tracking system was not functioning, so I had to email for status updates. They were really slow to respond. Calling them worked better, but it took a long time on hold to get through.

I still love the gun, but have lost respect for what is left of Remington.  Too bad.

peach2k

Hello,  I'm new to the forum.  I have probably put 2000 rounds thru my R51 and although I never really had a problem racking 7 rounds...
the last couple hundred rounds the slide suddenly doesn't hold open on the last round.
I clean it every 200 rounds or so and have had the same 4 mags since I purchased it. Any ideas?
  As a side note... I was told by a friend to always keep your mags fully loaded at all times (especially on the R51) to help break in the mag springs because that 7th round is tight.
Regarding gun control_ "If there's a gun in the room... I want control of it." ...Clint Eastwood

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: peach2k on October 21, 2017, 11:15:18 AM
Hello,  I'm new to the forum.  I have probably put 2000 rounds thru my R51 and although I never really had a problem racking 7 rounds...
the last couple hundred rounds the slide suddenly doesn't hold open on the last round.
I clean it every 200 rounds or so and have had the same 4 mags since I purchased it. Any ideas?
  As a side note... I was told by a friend to always keep your mags fully loaded at all times (especially on the R51) to help break in the mag springs because that 7th round is tight.

Arkis,
     Do you have more than one Magazine?  And, if so, does the gun not hold open with either mag?
Remington recommends to lock the slide open, insert the fully loaded magazine, pull the slide back
and release it.  i think most of us have had magazine problems.  I took out the mag follower on my mags and removed about 3/16" off
each leg.  Don't know what to tell you about the slide staying closed after the last round.   Try shooting only 6 rounds, see it the slide locks open.
It could either be a damaged mag, or it could be the slide locking lever.
Blackie 
So many guns, so little time!

peach2k

Hey Blackie
   Thanks for your post.  Thats the odd thing... I've had the same 4 mags since I got the gun. I always load all 4 mags at once then shoot and reload them again... so they each have the same range time and were broke in identically. that's what makes me think its the gun.
   I will certainly try loading only 6 the next time I go out... to see if that makes a difference but it used to hold open with 7 on every mag.  Honestly, I probably have closer to 3000 rounds thru her cause I stopped counting after the first 15 boxes. Its pretty much been a flawless gun but it won't cycle Tulammo so I only use brass. What's the chance the mag springs have weakened?  Pretty unlikely right?   ...Arlis
Regarding gun control_ "If there's a gun in the room... I want control of it." ...Clint Eastwood

FlatEarther

Does the slide hold open manually using the lever?... if not the slide or the lever or both are defective.
If it does hold open then you should be able to look through the port while seating an empty mag and see if the mag follower contacts the lock lever tab.

Seems you clean the gun plenty often... Ever had the mags apart to clean?

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: peach2k on October 22, 2017, 12:37:47 AM
Hey Blackie
   Thanks for your post.  Thats the odd thing... I've had the same 4 mags since I got the gun. I always load all 4 mags at once then shoot and reload them again... so they each have the same range time and were broke in identically. that's what makes me think its the gun.
   I will certainly try loading only 6 the next time I go out... to see if that makes a difference but it used to hold open with 7 on every mag.  Honestly, I probably have closer to 3000 rounds thru her cause I stopped counting after the first 15 boxes. Its pretty much been a flawless gun but it won't cycle Tulammo so I only use brass. What's the chance the mag springs have weakened?  Pretty unlikely right?   ...Arlis

Hey, Arlis,
     Have you tried Winchester USA Forged?   It is American made, and my R51 eats it up.    Good price too.
Springs should last a looong time according to an article I read,   Nobody really knows!
Blackie

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/magazine-springs-and-ammo-cycling/

peach2k

Thanks for the tips.   I hate to admit it but... I found why my R51 wasn't locking back on the last round. It  wasn't  the gun or the mags... it was my THUMB!!  It would seem the more comfortable I became with the gun my grip changed slightly and my right thumb was resting on the slide stop just enough to keep it from popping up to catch the slide. Sooo... I just have to re-train my thumb to be elsewhere  (At least during the last round)  Thank you all for your support... Arlis

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: peach2k on October 25, 2017, 04:40:25 PM
  Thanks for the tips.   I hate to admit it but... I found why my R51 wasn't locking back on the last round. It  wasn't  the gun or the mags... it was my THUMB!!  It would seem the more comfortable I became with the gun my grip changed slightly and my right thumb was resting on the slide stop just enough to keep it from popping up to catch the slide. Sooo... I just have to re-train my thumb to be elsewhere  (At least during the last round)  Thank you all for your support... Arlis

Arlis,
     Don't feel bad, many of us have done that and blamed the gin er uh gun.   :)
Blackie

Chokejug

Winchester Forged, steel case is what I shot yesterday in the brand new gun that arrivied only yesterday.
And the steel cases are what I surmised just might have been some cause of the problems that I had.

That and the intutitively "wrong way" bend at the very forward lip of the magazines!

Why the hell are they bent "backwards"?
I am "guessing" that its a "nose dive" preventive?

It doesnt make sense to me, but way too early to start "re-bending"!  I do have something else in mind to try first, if it comes to that.

Is one of the changes between the mags, issue 1 and II the raised forward hump in the follower, in version II?

Thanks for any and all info!
Jug

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Chokejug on October 28, 2017, 10:31:54 PM
Winchester Forged, steel case is what I shot yesterday in the brand new gun that arrivied only yesterday.
And the steel cases are what I surmised just might have been some cause of the problems that I had.

That and the intutitively "wrong way" bend at the very forward lip of the magazines!

Why the hell are they bent "backwards"?
I am "guessing" that its a "nose dive" preventive?

It doesnt make sense to me, but way too early to start "re-bending"!  I do have something else in mind to try first, if it comes to that.

Is one of the changes between the mags, issue 1 and II the raised forward hump in the follower, in version II?

Thanks for any and all info!
Jug

Choke,
     I have been shooting Winchester USA Forged in my R51 and had no problems.   Not even one mishap. 
Another problem I had was cured by taking 3/16 inch off the bottom of the mag followers.
But, no more than that.
Blackie

Chokejug

Well, finished up the last of the "Win Forged", without any more problems other than that which I first reported.

Changed my mind, I may well even buy more!

Especially for the second gun, finally coming today.
If they will run these, I feel that they most likely will run anything!