• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Why I will buy a R-51 and why I will not buy a R-51

Started by Robert, January 27, 2014, 04:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert

Why I will buy a  Remington R51 - if it fits my hand well - if the trigger feels good and does not have a really long travel I will buy one.

Why I will buy a R51 - it looks good with the crimson trace laser installed - few pistols actually seem to look good with a laser but the R51 actually seems, if anything to look even better with the laser. I don't like the cost of the pistol with the laser so I will buy mine bare with no laser and without the night sites then ad these later. I am going to make my own night sites for this gun. More on this later - think kimber solo, this is what I have in mind for the rear site.

Why I will not buy a R51 - If I do not like the trigger, read the following example - I heard the Kahr pistols were pretty good so being the curious sort I asked to check one out at the local gun store not long ago. After asking if it was OK and being sure to check the pistol to be sure it was unloaded I tried dry firing the pistol.

I could not believe how long the trigger travel was before the trigger broke and the pistol fired. It seemed the trigger had to go all the way back then my fat finger kind of scrunched up against the back section and I had to squeeze even harder at the end of this loooong travel to make it fire. I could not believe how truly bad this trigger felt I would not pay 50 bucks for a Kahr pistol, YUK and these things sell.

So after seeing how truly bad the Kahr pistol trigger felt I will take a wait and see attitude on the R51 to be sure I like the way it feels. The gun reviewers all seem to like the trigger but they are not me so I want to be sure before being out the money for something I should not have bought. What this means is I will buy one after I have it in hand, I will not order one from one of the online gun stores, unless I absolutely have no choice what so ever, then I may chance it and order one.

Bob.

GONRA

GONRA's shiny new R51 is really pleasant to shoot with  Winchester 9mm Luger 115 gn. FMJ  Q4172 Factory ammo.                                               MT's land around my feet.     Nice square notch easy to pickup sights!
Disassembly is "interesting".  Gotta verk on that....                                         79 year olde Finger Dexterity doesn't help....
Purchased this asa DELAYED BLOWBACK to add to my "Mechanism Collection".                                                                                                          Only other "delayed blowbacks" on hand are 2 .380 ACP Remington M51's from looong ago.                                                                                              These are beautiful firearms - shoot great!
Currently plan to only shoot Winchester 115 gn, FMJ factory ammo.                                                                                                        Scared to shoot my Prize Winning Handloads and void the warranty.
Am anxious to see what others think as tyme goes on.
R51's are gonna be a Big Success as loong as one keeps 'em CLEAN.                                                                                                     Can't get an unburned powder ball in those closely fitted parts! ..

GunFrogg

Well Robert I think the R51 will fit your why buy requirements except for possibly the trigger. The R51 trigger already has some universal dislikes. Every time I see a gun go through this, ya end up with 2 commonly heard opinions - Love it - Not Love it, not very much in between  :-)

Triggers are one of the areas that really separate us humans from what we like, and dislike about firearms. Reason ya always have to operate the trigger on any firearm before purchasing.

I am very pleased with my R51, but admit trigger improvement would be nice - just like my M&P. I do shoot the R51 very well, and the only thing I have to get tuned to is how much release I have to give before reset. No problem except when I shoot at my fastest. I have done trigger jobs on my guns and am very spoiled consequently. So, the stock R51 gives my trigger finger fits now and then. But I am getting adjusted just fine. Again - this is all very subjective and unique to how the R51 feels in my paws.
He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight

TJB63

Like Gunfrogg says: Triggers are subjective. I think I'm the only guy on the planet that thinks the M&P Shield triggers aren't that great, The pull on them is good, I just don't like the design that requires your index finger to be exactly at the lower tip of the trigger in order to disengage the safety and fire the gun.  IMO that's not ideal for a CC gun where you may or may not have time to think about proper trigger placement.

I ordered my R51 the other day, it's supposed to be here Wednesday, While the re-set (or lack thereof) doesn't bother me, I'm still trying to figure why Remington built an 'All-Metal' gun as they say, only to use a plastic trigger? But I'm looking forward to getting it for the shear mechanics alone, it's a different design and appears to be well made.

I hope it's a Hit for Remington.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: GONRA on August 10, 2016, 10:21:24 PM
GONRA's shiny new R51 is really pleasant to shoot with  Winchester 9mm Luger 115 gn. FMJ  Q4172 Factory ammo.                                               MT's land around my feet.     Nice square notch easy to pickup sights!
Disassembly is "interesting".  Gotta verk on that....                                         79 year olde Finger Dexterity doesn't help....
Purchased this asa DELAYED BLOWBACK to add to my "Mechanism Collection".                                                                                                          Only other "delayed blowbacks" on hand are 2 .380 ACP Remington M51's from looong ago.                                                                                              These are beautiful firearms - shoot great!
Currently plan to only shoot Winchester 115 gn, FMJ factory ammo.                                                                                                        Scared to shoot my Prize Winning Handloads and void the warranty.
Am anxious to see what others think as tyme goes on.
R51's are gonna be a Big Success as loong as one keeps 'em CLEAN.                                                                                                     Can't get an unburned powder ball in those closely fitted parts! ..

GONRA, I get what you are saying about old fingers, Mine are 81 years young. But I still carry a 1911 as my main weapon. My R51 if it goes bang every time, will be my pocket gun.
BTW, have you tried the new Ruger ARX polycase ammo? 
So many guns, so little time!

GONRA

GONRA's never tried the Ruger ARX ammo.
Not too interested In wierd boolits unless they are tracers or bangers.