• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

R51 Gen2 dry fire question

Started by Jake7757, August 22, 2016, 06:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake7757

Is it Ok to dry fire, a lot or not?
AKA Jake Chandler

GunFrogg

Hey Jake7757,
I dry fire several times a week. My R51 gets dry fired about once a week. I do not use snap caps on center fire guns. I put an in chamber laser when I dry fire at home as it prevents accidental loading.

If you dry fire a rim fire gun you must use a snap cap to protect the firing pin tip from peening.

He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight

lklawson

Quote from: Jake7757 on August 22, 2016, 06:47:36 PM
Is it Ok to dry fire, a lot or not?
On most modern made centerfire pistols, it is usually fine to dry fire.  There are some pistols which can be damaged by doing so (Kel Tec PF9, for example).  Because the R51 needs to have the slide reciprocated to reset the hammer, I see no reason not to use snapcaps.  It also allows you to do tap-rack-bang drills.

That said, contact Remington and ask.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Jake7757

Thank you both for the replies on dry firing.
I'll try Remington again for the question.
AKA Jake Chandler

Robert

I agree with lklawson concerning most guns can handle it but to be on the safe side I always do use a snap cap. I have a Keltec PF9 and P11 so I got used to always using a snap cap.

I have some snap caps where I milled off the rim on one side so the ejector does not eject the snap cap so I can rack the slide and fire again on the PF9 and PF11.

I think they should sell snap caps that have half the rim removed just for these types of guns as chasing the dad burn snap caps across the floor kinda sucks, though my cat seems to enjoy it. If I could just get him to bring them back to me, that would be great.

Robert

DanOh

That's a cool idea, Robert.  I never thought of cutting off the rim to stop ejection.  I have some old snap caps I'll try that with.  By the way, even though it may be OK to dry fire without a snap cap, I just prefer to use them.  I picture in my mind the tip of the firing pin protruding through the hole far enough to cut a rim in the tip.  My mind has been known to play tricks on me too, though.

1911SHOOTER

I only dry fire my 1911s. Just a hold over from the military. I have enough 9MM around
to go  out to the range and use it up. I picked up some of the new Winchester USA forged
9MM with steel casings and my LC9s loves it. Also my RIA 9MM. I intend to try it in my R51 when I pick it up.
I don't reload, so saving casings is no problem. 
So many guns, so little time!