• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Last round stove pipe, and the fix

Started by Ben B., April 28, 2024, 06:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben B.

Short version. If you have a problem with last loaded round from the magazine "stove pipe" feed jamming or completely exiting the pistol, you may need stronger magazine springs. Glock 43 magazine springs fit the R51 magazine. You may or may not need to clip a single coil from the bottom. I used the +15% springs purchased from Ghost Inc. It appears to have fixed this problem for me. All of my magazine followers already had the legs trimmed about 1/8", prior to this.

https://ghostinc.com/43-plus-15-magazine-spring-for-glock/

Posting this for others who may benefit.

My two R51s occasionally had last round "stove pipe" feeding failures, where a loaded round would end up with bullet out of the ejection port. Occasionally the bullet would fly out of the gun completely. I found this to be vexing.

I assumed it was soft magazine spring, but couldn't find report of an alternate. So I lived with it. A range trip 2 weeks ago produced this loaded last round stove pipe a few times, and once I  got home I started a-Googling for a solution again.  This time I got a hit to an old thread on this very forum, which said Glock 43 magazine springs from Ghost work in the R51 magazine, if you clip a coil.

So ordered a batch. I've tested moderately well, started with just a few mags with the G43 springs, and have had no "last round stove pipe feeding failures". I was able to reproduce the stove pipe with a few stock spring mags. One mag needed adjustment to G43 spring to load all 7 rounds.  I've now switched 9 magazines to G43 +15% springs and no stovepipe or other problems. Feeds a full mag of 7 rounds with 1 in chamber. A few times I tried the full G43 spring and it worked great, others I clipped one coil. One needed a little adjustment to bottom coil so 7 rds would load. It looks like a legit solution at this time.

I am happy.