• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

R-51 teething problems

Started by andrew678122, December 29, 2021, 03:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew678122

In the past ~6 months I have had nothing but problems from my R-51:
1. All but impossible to load the magazine with 7 rounds
2. All but impossible to eject the magazine via the mag eject button with 7 rounds in the mag
3. If I do manage to load a mag with 7 rounds then I can't pull the slide back
4. Pressure from the magazine follower on the bolt will frequently stop it from cycling completely
5. There are probably more that I'll add as I think of them

Before I joined this forum I found this post:
http://r51pistol.com/general-discussion/r51-slide-issue/
I noted the many responses saying to shorten the magazine follower 3/16". I did so on the 2 mags that I have.
All the problems went away...
Thanks everyone!
Andrew

sebvox

Glad you got it working!  It was a simple fix that Remington should have done on their Gen 2 magazines.  For those of you reading this and still having this problem, here's a video on how to fix the problem mentioned above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZBnEgdQvUU
- Erik

R51Fan2017

Yet again demonstrating this is a magazine issue and NOTHING to do with the pistol. Remington really should have caught this issue with their magazines. Thanks Sebvox for posting the video. Welcome aboard Andrew and glad you got yours running properly! Glad to have you and I hope you enjoy your little R51!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

springfield art

Clouseau

I initially had issues with my R51 when I bought it during the rebate period.  I picked for the the looks and fit.  I actually bought 2 other ccw pistols that I could carry with confidence.  I finally ran across the follower trimming video and trimmed about 1/8" from the follower of all three magazines.  One hundred per cent improvement.  I ran four complete rounds through all three Tuesday with no problems.  Remington should be sending us all new followers, and possibly springs for us who bought the earlier ones supplied with heavier springs.