• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Need help with a Gen 2

Started by ascot500, December 06, 2021, 12:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ascot500

Mine quit firing so I took it apart and found that the disconnector had broken into two pieces
I replaced it and now the disconnector just stays in the lowered position and the trigger bar is too low to contact the sear
I assume that there must be a spring that raises the disco, but which spring?

Help

mr220v

Did you watch the youtube video documenting the teardown of an r51?  Its helpful.

sebvox

Here is an X-Ray photo of the disconnector.  It is a Gen 1 but it shows the trigger bar, hammer block spring and sear spring.  It sounds like, from your description, that the trigger bar is not installed on the lower ledge of the disconnector.  This will bring the trigger bar up to engage both the hammer block and the sear.  Just curious about the disconnector breaking in two, I suspect this is from dry firing the pistol with the slide removed from the receiver.  By doing this, the hammer will slam both the sear and the hammer block into the disconnector cross bar and potentially cause the damage you are describing.
- Erik

ascot500

Thanks for the replies. I seriously doubt that I would pull the trigger with the slide assembly off - this is not my first rodeo, by far.
Regardless, the problem I am having is getting the hammer in place without either spinning the sear so that it no longer contacts the trigger bar.
Or worse, having the trigger bar fall off the legs of the disconnector.

I have watched the McCluskey videos as well as referred to their instructions.
At this point have a couple hours into my attempts and there the trigger bar sits out of place.
They must have had some kind of assembly fixtures at the factory, no way that they put up with this in a factory.

mr220v

Have you tried putting the grip safety block back in first?  This seemed to stabilize things a bit for me.  I got mine back together just now, so it is doable.