• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

hkp7fan

Started by hkp7fan, August 18, 2021, 03:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hkp7fan

Hello!  I am retired Army officer living in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.  I've been a long-time fan of the Heckler & Koch P7, hence my forum name.  I enjoy shooting and backpacking.  I am an instructor, shoot boss, and the Northwest Regional Coordinator for Project Appleseed (www.Appleseedinfo.org).

I own two Remington Model 51's, one each in .32 and .380.  I always thought they were cool little pistols, so when Remington announced the R51 I was excited and wanted one ASAP.  I didn't buy a Gen 1, as I couldn't get my hands on one before all the negative reports started.  After the recall, I waited for Gen 2.   As soon as I got back to the USA from my last tour in Germany in October 2016, I went straight out and bought one.

This is the first pistol I've ever owned that seriously tempted me to carry it instead of my HK P7M8, which has been my carry gun since 1985 (I carried a P7 from 1982-85).  It has almost all the major virtues of the P7, and is lighter to boot.  I now carry the R51 more often than I carry the P7M8. 

I have since purchased three more - one during the 2017 "Black Friday" rebate (net cost $200), another for $250 a year or two later, and a third for $285 at my LGS here last year, very lightly used and with the Crimson Trace sight on it.

I think this gun is a brilliant design and will become a classic, despite the rocky start and market failure.  Someday having them will be like owning a garage full of Edsels, lol.   Looking forward to participating in the forums and learning more about it, as well as what accessories (especially holsters) may be available.  I doubt if I know enough to answer questions, but ask away if I can be of assistance. 

FlatEarther

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service!

sebvox

@hkp7fan Welcome to the forum!  There is not much new traffic but the forum has a wealth of information to search from.  So out of your three R51's did you pick up a two-tone smoke model? 
- Erik

hkp7fan

No, they are all the basic blued variety.

springfield art

An auction in Lancaster County, PA, has coming up this weekend (9/18/21) gun auction, an original Model 51 and a current R51. One can go on line to PA Auction Center, and look at the photos. You can bid on line or "live" in person as the sale is taking place; they often have bidders on phones. Check 'em out even just to see what they sell for, you can see realized values after the sale when they post the results. The owners are Amish, it's in East Earl, PA.