• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Picked up a Smoke

Started by lklawson, July 22, 2020, 09:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lklawson

An online friend bought one and didn't like it.  Several of the known 'issues' with it.  The Pettersen had that "hitch" feeling and one of the mags is borked.  When loaded to 7 rounds if the action is closed then the mag won't seat without slamming it in and then it binds the action; the slide can't be racked.  It's a known issue.  But mostly he didn't like the feel of the grip.  Too flat for him and just didn't seem to fit his hand well.

The hitch will smooth out with break-in.  I'll tweak the mag but I'm just going to buy a few new mags.  If I can get the flaky mag to work, it'll go into the "range use only" rotation.

I paid him what he gave for it new; $200.  I think he has put less than 200 rounds through it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

sebvox

That's a good deal.  I love my smokey.
- Erik

lklawson

I took it to the range last Friday.  Known good mags seem to work fine.

It shoots about 4 inches low at 30-40 feet.  I can "Kentucky windage" that but it's a little disappointing.

No way that I know of to raise up the rear sight.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

sebvox

Kirk- I know that you know this, but for others that are reading this- this gun uses the "combat" sight picture and not the typical "center hold" sight picture.  And that is confirmed by Remington.  If you are shooting low on your target, this could be the cause.  Click on this to see the sight picture
- Erik

lklawson

Quote from: sebvox on July 31, 2020, 01:01:55 PM
Kirk- I know that you know this, but for others that are reading this- this gun uses the "combat" sight picture
Yup.

Sadly, this one shoots at 6 o'clock or under when I take a 12 o'clock hold.  :eek:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

springfield art

Yeah, mine shoots low, too.

Zenshot

Both of mine shoot to point of aim, fortunately.  I've given up on loading it to 7 + 1. Even with the mags that do not bind, it's still not 100% chambering the second round.  All the mags run 100% loaded 6+1, which is good why I can confidently carry it when loaded that way. 
-David