• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Slide and Frame not aligned

Started by David, May 31, 2020, 09:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Has anyone see a misalignment between the slide and frame (see pics in attachments below). 

If so, can you tell me what is going on?

sebvox

Do you still have the Dangerco threaded barrel installed?  Is it possible that the aftermarket barrel is causing the misalignment?  I wonder if you put the original barrel back on if it fixes the issue?  Just throwing darts...
- Erik

Zenshot

Mine has a similar alignment and is all original.  It hasn't resulted in any issues.
-David

David

Sebvox.  Putting the original barrel back in was the first thing I did.  That did not change a thing.

sebvox

Is the slide (at the barrel end) flush with the end of the barrel? or is that end also misaligned?
- Erik

David

That end looks good.  I'll try to get a picture later this evening.

sebvox

If it makes you feel any better, I have posted photos of mine for comparison.  It doesn't look too different.
- Erik

David

Looks just like mine!

The thing still shoots - mostly, depending on which mag I put in there.   

I'm considering hitting the frame with a wheel and making it match the slide - but I really want to make sure this isn't because I lost some small part that supposed to go inside.

sebvox

The slide with the breech block installed is limited in location by the fixed barrel.  You're not missing any parts.  The location of the takedown/slide catch pin is the control of the alignment of slide to frame.  Could the alignment be a difference between Charlotte and Huntsville frames?  Could the misalignment be a result of excessive use?  Possibly.

As far as taking a wheel to the slide - The stainless slide has a melonite finish while the aluminum frame has a black anodized finish.  I don't know if you could ever get them to match.  Early Gen 1's had a more matte black finish that matched better.  The R&D models had an even lighter finish.
- Erik

lklawson

Quote from: David on May 31, 2020, 09:34:25 PM
Has anyone see a misalignment between the slide and frame (see pics in attachments below). 

If so, can you tell me what is going on?
Same with mine.  I actually sent a request in to Tech Support a year or so ago.  The tech got back with me, stating that he examined several on the line and found it to be common.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

David

thank you everyone.  Good to know that even Rem's techs see this, and brand new guns in the gun store case show it.

I looked at the takedown pin, and it is tight.  I think this is just the way it is.

I acknowledge that taking the wheel to the frame is a bad idea.  I've been known to do bad ideas, even when I know they are bad ideas.  Although the mis-alignment is stupid and it bothers me, I'm not sure this bad idea is worth it or if I'd be bothered less with the finishing mismatch.

44fanatic

Mine's the same. Doesn't seem to be a problem except for cosmetically, but it falls into that "Things that make you go Hmmmm."

DryrotUK1985

i was leaning toward manufacture point. i have a Charlotte frame and it is flush at both ends. i have run over 1k rounds through it.
definitely an odd thing, quality control should have picked up on that. fit and finish are important.