• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Slide release / takedown lever spring

Started by FairbanksBill, May 13, 2020, 01:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FairbanksBill

I have a stubborn reoccurring issue of my slide release not going under the slide release spring when I reassemble the pistol after cleaning.  In order to put it together properly I have to reach in through the ejection port with a very thin pin or blade and lift the spring up.  I have tried every imaginable method of aligning these parts to make reassembly easier (like most the videos show) but it misses every time.  This is not a huge issue, it just requires a third hand and an extra set of eyes on the back side.  Sadly I only have the two hands and none of my eyes are retractable.

Anyone else have an issue with this?  do I need a new spring? 

sebvox

I personally have never had an issue with the slide catch spring.  Every video out there warns about the spring but, like I said, I have never had that issue.  I always make sure that when reassembling the slide catch that I have the lever slightly rotated lower than the spring, then as I push the lever in, it is below the spring.

Just curious, do you have a Charlotte or Huntsville model?

Also, if you can, post a pic of the what the spring looks like with the slide catch removed.
- Erik

Zenshot

The slide stop lever should slip under the wire spring, unless the spring is bent and not sitting in the correct position.
-David

DryrotUK1985

i had the issue only once, i keep the lever end lower than the spring and rotate up as the pin seats.