• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Breaking in

Started by raycirx, April 29, 2020, 08:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raycirx

So forgive me if this has come up here before, but....
I have just picked up my R 51. Due to the virus I have not had a chance to fire it yet. Does anyone have any advice on how to break the pistol in?Shold I take it apaart and oil it? Sit in front of the television and rack the slide? Anything else? Ideas, suggestions, experiences would be GREATLY appreciated.

scouts owner

First off, congratulations on your new pistol. Regarding the prep for ude a disassembly and cleaning is a good idea. Rust inhibitor could be present and should be removed. I suggest that you consult a youtube video to help with the process.
The magazines have been the source of a lot of issues but there are several threads on this site that addresses that. Best of luck !

sebvox

On mine, I field stripped it and cleaned it really well.  It comes test fired from the factory and they don't clean them when they stick'em back in the box.  Felt for any parts for burs and sharp edges.  I ended up taking a flat needle file to the ejector.  One side is pretty burred.  I also ended up taking the file to some sharp edges on the barrel locking grooves.  Lubed it well and put it all back together.  It is much smoother now.  Lots of slide racking and dry firing.  I do plan on polishing the chamber and feed ramp, then on to the breech block.
- Erik

sebvox

I ended up polishing the feed ramp, inside the chamber, and the entire outside of the barrel.  Since the action spring compresses around the outside of the barrel, I figured I'd make that smooth as well.  I also polished the breech block, which came out really nice.  I used 400 grit wet sand paper to get all the machine marks out then polished it all out.  Racking is really smooth now.
- Erik

Wilsonink

Thanks for the tip on polishing the chamber. I'll do that next time it is apart. I use Maas jewelry cleaner on my silver rings and use that to polish my breech block and barrel. A little gun grease and it feels great. Will shoot it in next three days.