• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Carry ammo

Started by gtarp, January 18, 2020, 05:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtarp

Thought I would mention a "new to me" ammo that I tried today.  It is made by a company called Atomic Ammunition.  It is a +P 124 gr. Hollow Point.  I found it at Cheaper Than Dirt.  Fired 100 rounds today.  No problems except occasionally the last round in magazine would not load.
I was shooting at 20 yards, at my swinging steel disc.  This ammo was hitting considerably harder than anything else I have ever used.  I normally carry Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr. +P+.  The Atomic would almost make the disc swing back over the rod it is suspended from.  cheaperthandirt.com lists the energy at 465 ft/lbs. and velocity at 1300 fps.  I did not chronograph any rounds today so I do not know how fast it is really going out of my R51 but, I am absolutely impressed with the energy with which it hits the steel.  I would love to see some reviews from others on this round.  My only real concern at this point would be possible over penetration.  Will definitely be doing some more work with this ammo to see if I want it to be my new "carry ammo".
Has anyone experimented with Atomic Ammunition?  What do you use for your "carry ammo"?

4 Ghost

FlatEarther

IIRC... CTD posted big price increases to AR15s within 24 hrs of the Sandy Hook shooting.
So it sure looked like gouging instantly after the shooting made national news.
This was discussed on many gun forums at the time... Joe

Zenshot

I like Inceptor ARX ammo. In about 100 rounds, I have not had a misfeed. I only load 6+1 though. The ARX has a round nose which seems like it would be less likely to misfeed than a hollow point.
-David

waltsblues

Has anyone tried any of the Legend 9mm JAP or HAP JHP ammo?
They have bags of 100 for 29.99 & 34.99.

I did a search and didn't hear anything bad except it said the cases were steel even though they looked brass. Bud's has it listed as Brass Case?

thank's
Birddogs, Home grown tomatoes and the Blues. To me it don't get much better than that!

R51Fan2017

Since you mentioned +P+, I did read a review a few years ago about one man who ran a few mags of +P+ through his R51 without problems. It is nice to know that the design is that robust, but I would never want to torture my gun like he did. Do I recommend it? Absolutely not. Just saying that it is nice to know that it can withstand that heavy a load.

https://survivalblog.com/pat-cascios-product-review-remington-r51/
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder