• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

racking a full mag

Started by krackjack, January 17, 2020, 01:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krackjack

I initially stumbled on to this forum looking for a solution to the racking issue of a full mag with the slide closed.

Being a newbie, I acquiesced to the general conclusion that it "shouldn't" be done. Sort of related is the 7 + 1 full load, racking 7, ejecting the mag and loading the extra and snapping it back in.

Doing that,- seemed- on my last few tries, did lock up the firing on #2/8.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I've been having success, with a little elbow grease, to rack a full mag from the closed slide position, both mags- out of the box- without modifying their springs... (gen 2)

I'll have more to say when I can get out a test fire with them loaded that way. I won't try 8 again, simply too unreliable.

The only ammo I've tried so far is the Remington 115/brass. Works good.8)

Just found out this week too,- that Walmart stopped carrying 9mm ammo (NM only), and other local sporting goods stores can't seem to keep it stocked,- they've jacked their prices up on it too, so... if you're planning on doing any test shooting in NM, bring plenty of ammo with you, don't try to buy it here

- back to the Great Sovereign State of Texas tomorrow

lklawson

Quote from: krackjack on January 17, 2020, 01:42:46 PM
Just found out this week too,- that Walmart stopped carrying 9mm ammo (NM only), and other local sporting goods stores can't seem to keep it stocked,- they've jacked their prices up on it too, so... if you're planning on doing any test shooting in NM, bring plenty of ammo with you, don't try to buy it here
A few months ago, Wal Mart's CEO joined the Boomberg organization and agreed to no longer sell any handgun ammunition or "short barreled rifle ammunition" (whatever that might be) in Wal Marts.  They discounted everything and sold it out of stock.  You can still get 12 Ga shotgunshells and 30-06 but not any "handgun" ammo or .223.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

krackjack

so I discovered when I tried to buy ammo here in my home state,-  :(

waltsblues

I tried doing a rack of a full mag once and it jammed that first round. Since then I lock the action open lock in the mag and release the slide and everything works fine. I have 2 a black and a smokie and will wait to try that again till both guns are good and broken in.

My local Walmart I see has shotgun shells on the shelf in an open isle but never walked down to look since they re-arranged the sporting goods department and moved and shrunk the gun display cases.

I have usually been buying my 9mm at Rural King as I go there about once a month, pretty good selection and prices are reasonable for on the shelf.
I was in there last week and was looking for 9mm defensive rounds and they didn't have any.
The sales guy said just check back they get ammo in everyday.
Anybody have any recommendation for defensive rounds? My other thought was get some dies as I still have my reloading setup but haven't used in years.

thanks

Walt

Birddogs, Home grown tomatoes and the Blues. To me it don't get much better than that!