• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

What do You Think?

Started by R51Fan2017, October 26, 2019, 11:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R51Fan2017

Supposedly the R51 is discontinued, so why does Remington still have a slide dedicated to it on their website? I snapped this screen shot with my iPad to prove I wasn't crazy, lol.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Zenshot

Remington still lists the R51 on their website as though it's a current model.  Either they are doing this because there's still a lot of new inventory in the market or they still aren't 100% sure about not making another production run.
I haven't heard any rumors of anything in the works to replace a concealed carry 9mm in Remington's product list.
-David

lklawson

There is no official notice that it's discontinued.  The semi-official statements have revolved around "not being produced."  My suspicion is that the demand is low enough that they will only produce periodically.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

R51Fan2017

Quote from: lklawson on October 28, 2019, 08:45:30 AM
There is no official notice that it's discontinued.  The semi-official statements have revolved around "not being produced."  My suspicion is that the demand is low enough that they will only produce periodically.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Kirk,

I sure hope you are right. Good point about there not being an "official" notice of production being permanently halted. Maybe there is hope yet!

Sean
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Seeleenickel

My wife bought our second R-51 maybe 6-8 weeks ago.  At that time, our local Sportsman's Warehouse still had 15 of them.  That left 14.  We didn't look until later, but her serial number is only three numbers away from mine..which I had bought well over a year ago.

Yesterday, a buddy who had shot both mine, and my wife's, R-51s bought one for his own.  His serial number is only three numbers away from my wife's. (We tried to get consecutive serial numbers, but no go, they didn't have them)  Our local Sportsman's Warehouse now has 12 left.  Apparently, they are from the first order of R-51 pistols they ever received.

They are now selling them for $199.99.  A steal in my book.  But they just aren't flying off the shelf.  My guess is there are a lot of them still around unsold, and that is why production is "suspended".

I hope they build up a following, and become desirable enough for Remington to make some more down the road.  I'm talking them up to everyone I know to go buy one at $200.  So far, my wife and I have two great shooters, and my buddy has yet to shoot his and report back, but considering all three are within 6 serial numbers of each other, it appears to have been a good run.

My R-51 is still my favorite carry weapon, by far.

Zorba

I paid $199 for mine as well - at Hi-Point prices, they should fly off the shelves!
"The Veiled Male"

springfield art

I have an R51 and like it; but the early problems with it, plus the business problems that Remington has been having overall, simply rules out any restart of production on this pistol. It caused the company expensive recall headaches, and the public has scores of concealed-carry 9's to choose from. Re-introduction just "ain't gonna happen". A simple on-line search by a prospective buyer will reveal all these problems and lead them to something else. The R51 is, in MHO, a gun that will appeal to more experienced "gun geeks" who will love learning to take it apart and tinker with it. I do like how mine 'carries'; buy a spare or two, but no new ones will be made. This has been a most helpful site for me in educating myself about these neat little pistols. Thanks, all.

scouts owner

The thing that will prevent any new production is the lack of profit potential. Having established a price point of approximately $200.00 any resumption of production would be at, if not a loss, awfully close to it. I bought my first 51 two years ago for 299 but was  given a 100 rebate coupon. That much time has fixed the buying public's perception of its value. There is no business case for Remington to resume production.

Plain Old Dave

There's absolutely a place in the Market for the R51. It's a Smith and Wesson 380EZ writ large. I have neuropathy and the low slide effort was a huge part of my decision to buy. I'm preparing to buy a SECOND R51, a gray and black 2 tone, just because the slide is so easy to operate.

Zorba

The P365 and Hellcat have made 7+1 sub-compact pistols obsolete in the minds of many/most people. Sig blindsided the entire industry, Mossberg et al were caught completely flat footed with their 7+1 designs that were already in the engineering pipeline. I carry a LC9s - purchased 6 months before the P365 was introduced. Great gun, I love it, etc, etc - but I wouldn't buy it today.
Add to that what the last several posters have pointed out, and I can't see the R51 making a comeback. It is indeed, a neat gun for "gun geeks". Plus - in my opinion - a carry piece should be polymer. Lighter weight, corrosion resistant, and softer recoil for size.
"The Veiled Male"

Zenshot

There seem to be many $200 handguns on the market - SCCY, Taurus, Ruger, etc. There must be a  way for all of these companies to turn a profit somehow.
-David

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Zenshot on November 03, 2019, 08:12:51 AM
There seem to be many $200 handguns on the market - SCCY, Taurus, Ruger, etc. There must be a  way for all of these companies to turn a profit somehow.

The only thing that could keep them from turning a profit as I see it at these prices is that it is all metal. The guns you speak of by Taurus, Ruger, Smith & Wesson etc, is that they are polymer guns. Polymer is essentially plastic.....sorry it sounds cheap and it is. Remington's original MSRP price for the 51 was close to $400 if I recall correctly. Under any circumstances, you simply cannot have your products selling  for more than 50% less or your recommended MSRP and turn a profit. I paid $379 for mine in 2017 including tax. It has been a cluster of issues that have caused price drops. All of a sudden dealers have excess supply so naturally the price will go down, however this problem is compounded further by the fact that people have this view that the pistol is junk.

Dealers cannot sell them fast enough as is, so they lower prices further, ( I'm seeing some for right at $200 the rare occasion slightly under 200), and people are just starting to nibble at them, but it's too late from a production standpoint. Don't be surprised if we don't see one more price drop in the future as a final push to get rid of inventory. Sorry to ramble folks!

- Larry Elder

springfield art

Your comments are correct and right on target!

springfield art

Remington filed for bankruptcy protection today Nov. 18-19th. Upcoming lawsuit concerning their advertising and black rifle sales, as has been reported in the press. The R51's out there are all that will ever be made. I don't see a clamoring for them, either. Just enjoy 'em if you like 'em!

lklawson

Quote from: springfield art on November 19, 2019, 06:45:53 PM
Remington filed for bankruptcy protection today Nov. 18-19th.
I haven't seen the news story yet.  Got a quick link?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk