• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Anyone install their metal trigger?

Started by Swschu, June 07, 2019, 06:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitfireguy

I installed the new trigger the other day. I took my time at it and spent about 20-30 minutes on the operation (... okay, it might have been closer to 45 or 50 minutes).  Before going any further, let me say that if you haven't watched Cameron's posted install video, take some time and do so; it's well worth it.

Some additional observations on my part (apologies if this is trivial to some of you, but as a novice the following stood out to me): 

The pivot pin must be driven from the left side out the right side of the frame as that pin has about two to three millimeters of knurling on the right side - consequently you will use a little more driving force, at first, until that knurling clears the frame; after which the pin can be pushed out with the lightest of taps. Likewise, when installing the new trigger and driving the pin (now from right to left) into the frame, you'll need to apply a little more driving force at the end of its travel when the knurling engages the frame.  Either direction, start with gentle taps and gradually increase the applied force until the pin moves.  When reinstalling the pivot pin, I found it helpful to use a larger than 3/32 pin punch until I got the pivot pin almost to the frame.

Before installing the trigger into the frame, I took some time to test fit the pivot pin in the new trigger, inserting it by hand and making certain that the trigger fits firmly and moves freely on the pivot pin.  Cameron's trigger worked fine, but machining tolerances can rear their ugly heads when you least expect it.

When installing the roll pin into the trigger, definitely follow Cameron's suggestion to line-up the trigger and connector with a pin punch before inserting the roll pin.  FWIW, my factory roll pin was too tight to easily fit in the new trigger; after a few attempts, I gave-up and used the supplied pin - thanks Cameron for supplying the replacement roll pins!  Also, at this stage of the operation, I might suggest a small piece of soft plastic being used to wedge the trigger (against the frame) in the forward position so that the roll pin hole doesn't slip halfway inside the frame while you're trying to drive that pin (yep that Birchwwod Casey black finish touch-up pen will be used on my gun - just a small nick on the frame about the size of a pin head).

My impressions of the installed new trigger:

Very nice!  What remains of the left to right wobble of the new trigger (compared to the factory original trigger) is negligible.  Indeed, comparing it to a friend's 1911 Gold Cup, the Gold Cup's trigger exhibits more play in that dimension than Cameron's R51 trigger - Bravissimo!

A final FWIW, before installing the new trigger I took some quick measurements of trigger pull with the factory trigger in my gun; they seemed to average-out at about 6.5 lbs.  The new trigger seems to average-out at slightly more than about 6.75 lbs.  I believe this is due to a slight change in the trigger profile which is affecting the applied leverage of the trigger on the sear.  Does it bother me?  ... No, but I readily acknowledge that this touches upon a very subjective issue among shooters.  I do not intend this as a negative strike, but simply to bring it to your attention; if this is important to you, this trigger might affect your felt trigger pull - then again, I also suspect that due to machining tolerances, different guns may exhibit varying results here.  It's a bit of a tough call.

Last, but not least, ... did I happen to mention how cool it is to have a metal trigger on an otherwise all metal gun?   (Okay, there is still that glorified ink pen eraser which tensions the extraction claw - but we'll overlook that discussion for the time being for the sake of basking in the glory our current victory!)

The install is not rocket science; watch the video and heed the various posts in this thread.  If you're new to this, just take your time and use your common sense.  No one is out to set an installation speed record; patience will be your friend!

PS. Regarding Roll Pin Punches:

While I found that Menard's had roll spring pin punches, the smallest they had at my location was one size too large 1/8" - YMMV.  I noticed a set advertised online by Walmart but found none in the store - although I had looked in the tool section of that store.   When I ordered online from Wally World I noticed they listed the set as a gunsmithing tool; since some Walmart's do sell guns, you might try looking for that roll pin punch set in their gun section - this is just a hunch though, I haven't had opportunity to follow up on this.   Good luck

-

springfield art

Good info! BTW, Wal-Mart will not tell you which of their stores have rifles and shotguns...does anyone know of a non-Wally web site that lets people know
which stores sell firearms? I haven't installed my metal trigger yet, but will study and re-read your fine tech tips before doing so...

Zorba

Mine came today - with a "DangerCo" patch! How did they know I have a skirt full of firearms patches? Now it'll have one more!
"The Veiled Male"

Zorba

Installed. I waited until the disassembly tools arrived, and boy did they make a difference!

No real problems, it felt like the new trigger was a tiny bit wider at the spring - which makes sense. I ended up re-using the stock roll pin as it was tight enough and the new one would have needed squeezing down a bit. This way, I have a spare.

I used a "pistol block" to support the frame while driving out the upper (pivot) pin - a handy tool to have. The sideways wiggle is VASTLY improved - and it does seem, as another poster noted - that there is a slight increase in trigger pull weight, but nothing objectionable, nice and crisp. A bit of oil on the pivot pin helped it go back in easier.

I would have bought a red trigger as illustrated in the video had it been available - or better yet, "Remington Green", but that's nit picking. Pictures:

"The Veiled Male"

Jake7757

After installing the metal trigger, have there been any issues with trigger reset?
AKA Jake Chandler

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"

springfield art

I ordered my roll pin punch from a big-box hdwe. store; Home Depot.

jujonte

Quote from: Engineerpower on July 08, 2019, 09:29:37 AM
Finally sat down and filmed a how-to on changing out the trigger!

https://youtu.be/xCCg_unjMms

The video looks excellent. I won't be able to try though until I get my trigger in. Just ordered it.
jujonte