• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

New member-Zemo in Wyoming

Started by Zemo, September 01, 2019, 08:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zemo

Hi guys, really happy to have found this forum!  I've been wanting an R51 ever since they were introduced, and then I saw the cluster it was at the beginning. I finally pulled the trigger (!) about 6 weeks ago.  The initial 2 range sessions had the same problems (except for the failure to fire issues) as everyone else has had.  I put about 225 rounds through it, including a few hollow points from Federal and the great majority of hardball Remington 115. I also had the magazines drop out from time to time but that may be a finger education problem for me.
I've just recently gotten mine back from Remington and have yet to go to the range with it, (although I have just today ordered a Danger trigger for it) and I'm looking forward to it.  The issues with magazines that you guys have found are very interesting to me.  If I still have problems with nosediving or other failures to feed, I believe I will shorten the skirt of the magazine followers about 1/8".
The paperwork that came back with the pistol (I sent it in the original box without original papers, and received the original box from Remington) said that the action was binding.  It also said that they repaired the slide and replaced a magazine.  I saw polishing on the Pedersen block, but I think that was from the rounds put through the gun already- there was no polishing or grinding of the lower leading edge of the Pedersen block.
Sorry to hear about the possible discontinuation of the R51 as I feel the same way most of you do about the gun.
Well, this is already too long for an introduction post so I'll sign off.  If anyone wants to PM me I'm available, and interested.
Thanks for being here
Zemo in Wyoming

scouts owner

Hello and welcome. I have two of the pistols, one from Charoltte and the other from Huntsville. First gun had the issues with the mag dropping out, inability to eject a full mag, and the first round failure to feed. When I ground down the follower legs with a dremel all of the problems went away. The second gun only required a good cleaning and it ran 6 mags of ball as fast as I could shoot it.
You have an excellent pistol so don't let the hot stove experts tell you otherwise. You won't be disappointed with the gun.

Zenshot

Welcome to the forum!  The magazines can be difficult to seat properly if fully loaded with the slide closed. Glad that you like the unique design of the R51 and how easy it is to shoot accurately.  The smooth edges make concealed carry very easy as well.
-David