• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

R-51 currently in production 2016

Started by JRLeathUSMC, April 26, 2016, 08:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunsnwater

I got a call from remington last friday. I gave the nice lady my local FFL contact info. Just waiting and reading the updates.  Great news Dwight. 2 years wait is coming to an end.

Rjbpow

I got mine back today. Received a call from my FFL around 3:30 pm CST telling me it had arrived. Stopped by after work and started filling out paperwork. In the package was a new retail box containing my R51, two mags, a new lock, and manuals; a box containing a pelican case; and a plastic bag containing two more mags. So add those to the two they told me not to send back and I've now got 6 mags. I wanted to clean the gun and properly function test so I brought it home with no rounds through tonight.

I forgot what a bear this thing is to disassemble and reassemble. But everything seems to be working properly. The slide does feel much smoother than what I remember in my original which was very stiff and clunky along the way. The trigger is now plastic opposed to metal as before. I'm not sure why they skeletonized a plastic trigger but it looks nice enough. Not much take up and comes back to a stiff but clean break (not sure weight yet) at prob 6-8lbs. Reset feels long but not bad with no audible click a just the slightest feel. This could still use some work. But I'm sure I'll get the feel for it on the range.

I was a bit disappointed in the fit and finish still black coating out of the box was scratch on the edges of grip safety and there's a gouge in the edge of the spring bushing. Finish also missing from 2points of checkering on front strap.

RED HORSE

Picked mine up this morning from my FFL holder.  Seems a little strange to have a new gun without any receipt that shows I purchased it.  No way to prove it is mine to the casual observer.  I guess the only record will be at the FFL holder and Remington.  Need to get it cleaned up and then have a cooler day so I can give it a try.

ComingCurse

Glad they're finally sending them out. I got an email about getting my replacement - not sure why, I took the r1 deal about a month ago - contacted them, and they said they sent in by accident.
I can't wait to hear how gen 2 is. I'm looking forward to getting another one when they hit retail if all sounds good.

gunsnwater

I got mine today. Finish is perfect. Slide is s smooth.  Seems good. I need to shoot it.

RED HORSE

I shot a box of Remington FMJ and a magazine of Remington Critical Defense through mine.  It functioned fine, but the plastic trigger is a real problem.  Mine is so lose it wobbles back and forth about an 1/8".  No, I'm not sending it back for repair.  I've got it, I'm not giving it back to Remington.  Hopefully someone will soon come out with a replacement metal trigger.

MialMc

Picked up mine today, originally kept both my mags and just sent in the pistol in the box.
Got back the pistol, 4 mags and the pelican case.
Noticed the new mags have a raised area on the follower that the old ones do not have.
Will Post again after trip to range, curious to see how, and if, the older mags perform in the gen2.

SPRic

MailMc, any chance you could upload a picture showing the differences in the old and new mags? Thanks in advance.

SPRic

How about some range reports guys.

MialMc

There is a good utube video on the differences in the magazines.

ComingCurse

Check out RyeOnHam on YouTube. He's got a few videos of the gen 2, including 100 rounds of range time.

RED HORSE

Interesting, much of the public literature claims the Gen 2 R51's will all show they were manufactured in Alabama.  However, mine shows it was manufactured in Charlotte, NC.  There is some info out there that those of us who were the first to receive our replacements have received items which were assembled with frames left over from the Charlotte operation.  Not sure what to make of that.

Terrier

Any word on stores selling them to the general public yet?

SPRic

I just put one on backorder yesterday thru a local gun shop. I don't know which distributor he ordered it thru, but they did accept the order. I guess that means they're in production.

GunFrogg

I got my replacement R51 a couple weeks ago. Very nice lady from Remington called me with the good news. I probed her a little for info, and she stated the R51 production line is about up to full speed. She also stated soon as they verify everyone getting a replacement has been contacted they will send product out to retailers.
He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight