• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Anyone install their metal trigger?

Started by Swschu, June 07, 2019, 06:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swschu

I would like to know the level of difficulty installing the metal trigger. I already had two gunsmiths decline the opportunity to install mine. I am getting ready to try doing it myself....but my R51 is my best shooting pistol and I dont want to screw it up. Any advice? Thanks!

springfield art

I got the trigger and was surprised to find a little spring on top of the original one. The whole project I'm sitting on and will attack it later; the re-assembly from field stripping is tricky, must master that. I got one of those Bench Plate things for punching out pins, and you need to get the proper Roller Pin Punch to protect the hollow pin. Can order one as most hdwe. stores don't stock, and many don't even know what a Roller Pin Punch is. Just has a little swell or tit on the end, that fits in the hollow pin and keeps it from being crushed when punched. Gunsmiths don't want the liability of doing trigger work if they can avoid it. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get it done. I enjoy shooting the little R51, and hope to get mine back together soon, with or without the after market trigger. 

Engineerpower

Were you able to get it together, Art?
Cameron Husk
Dir, Engineering - DangerCo, LLC

"Therefore, worry not for the morrow; the morrow shall worry for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -Matthew 6:34

Engineerpower

Have triggers available, hitting the website today or tomorrow!

Cameron Husk

"Therefore, worry not for the morrow; the morrow shall worry for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -Matthew 6:34

springfield art

Not yet! Sometimes if a little project stumps me, I'll lay it aside for days or weeks and come back with fresh eyes...thanks, I'll keep you posted!

58Victor

I am interested too.  Just ordered mine

springfield art

You should consider getting one of those 'benchtop' pin-punching blocks they
advertise in the gun publications...also, be sure to use a true "roller pin punch", so as not to damage the roller pin...it's hollow, and you don't want to peen it over.
(This was suggested by DangerCo's. site, too.)

Engineerpower

Finally sat down and filmed a how-to on changing out the trigger!

https://youtu.be/xCCg_unjMms
Cameron Husk

springfield art

A Thousand Thanks! It seems simple, but we're not all engineers! Just need a little visual help. Good idea!

lklawson

Quote from: Engineerpower on July 08, 2019, 09:29:37 AM
Finally sat down and filmed a how-to on changing out the trigger!

https://youtu.be/xCCg_unjMms
Thank you.  :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

springfield art

Hi, the video was great; not to nitpick, but the orientation
of the little spring, was a bit too fast, would have liked to
see closer or longer. Thanks, though, it is helpful and I'm
sure others will benefit, too.

Engineerpower

Cameron Husk

Swschu

Thanks for the video...looks simple enough to give it a try. 😊

springfield art

OMG! You are truly in the best tradition of the Engineering Profession! Wow! A thousand thanks! I still am sitting on this little project, will notify when completed.
Engineers rock! (Guess that's how we got to the Moon!)

Swschu

Installed my metal trigger last night....followed the instructions that came with it. It was simple! Didnt remove all the trigger wobble but it is metal!