• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Had to send my Gen 2 R-51 back to Remington.

Started by GLBourbon, May 07, 2019, 01:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GLBourbon

This is my first post and I am sorry if it is really long.

I purchased my Gen 2 Remington R51 about 6 months after they re-released it, I had wanted one since I first saw that Remington was making them back in, when was it, like 2014. Anyway, I received it and put it in my gun safe and always forgot to take it along when I went to the range. So it sat in my gun safe for nearly 2 years, unfired.  Last December, I was going to the range with a friend. This time I saw it sitting there when I opened my safe, so I loaded it up in my range bag.  I was very excited about shooting it. I got to the range, already had the 3 magazines loaded and ready to go.  It was the 2nd gun i was gong to shoot that day. I got to the pistol range, got it our and slapped in a magazine, racked the slide and pointed down range, I made sure the grip safety was depressed squeezed the trigger, only I couldn't squeeze the trigger. The trigger would not budge. I dropped the magazine racked the slide to remove the round in the breech, put the round back in the magazine. At this point, I cycled the pistol a couple of times and dry fired to make sure that it would work. It worked, but I have never felt a trigger that felt that full of gravel. It was not anything close to a smooth trigger.  I thought well maybe it will get better after I break it in. I put the magazine back in, racked the slide and wham, same thing happened. The trigger would not budge.  I just unloaded it and put it away.  Well, I finally contacted Remington around April 18th, 19th. They sent me a Fed Ex pre-paid  label. I sent it in to them. About a week after they received it, I got an email telling me that there was going to be a delay in getting my pistol back as some of the needed parts were on backorder.  That was until today, when my phone rang and it was Remington calling me to inform me that they could not repair it to their satisfaction so they were going to send me out a replacement.  Well, I said fine, and they are also going to swap it out for the Smoke/Silver version that I asked for. So, I am happy, their customer service was first rate.  They were a real pleasure to deal with.
Has anyone else had this problem?  I asked the Remington employee to called me to let me know about the swap and she said that they do not provide them with that information. I figured, but I am really curious to see if any other R-51 owners have had a similar problem with their trigger locking up after loading the pistol?

Sirrus Rider

Quote from: GLBourbon on May 07, 2019, 01:43:10 PM
This is my first post and I am sorry if it is really long.

I purchased my Gen 2 Remington R51 about 6 months after they re-released it, I had wanted one since I first saw that Remington was making them back in, when was it, like 2014. Anyway, I received it and put it in my gun safe and always forgot to take it along when I went to the range. So it sat in my gun safe for nearly 2 years, unfired.  Last December, I was going to the range with a friend. This time I saw it sitting there when I opened my safe, so I loaded it up in my range bag.  I was very excited about shooting it. I got to the range, already had the 3 magazines loaded and ready to go.  It was the 2nd gun i was gong to shoot that day. I got to the pistol range, got it our and slapped in a magazine, racked the slide and pointed down range, I made sure the grip safety was depressed squeezed the trigger, only I couldn't squeeze the trigger. The trigger would not budge. I dropped the magazine racked the slide to remove the round in the breech, put the round back in the magazine. At this point, I cycled the pistol a couple of times and dry fired to make sure that it would work. It worked, but I have never felt a trigger that felt that full of gravel. It was not anything close to a smooth trigger.  I thought well maybe it will get better after I break it in. I put the magazine back in, racked the slide and wham, same thing happened. The trigger would not budge.  I just unloaded it and put it away.  Well, I finally contacted Remington around April 18th, 19th. They sent me a Fed Ex pre-paid  label. I sent it in to them. About a week after they received it, I got an email telling me that there was going to be a delay in getting my pistol back as some of the needed parts were on backorder.  That was until today, when my phone rang and it was Remington calling me to inform me that they could not repair it to their satisfaction so they were going to send me out a replacement.  Well, I said fine, and they are also going to swap it out for the Smoke/Silver version that I asked for. So, I am happy, their customer service was first rate.  They were a real pleasure to deal with.
Has anyone else had this problem?  I asked the Remington employee to called me to let me know about the swap and she said that they do not provide them with that information. I figured, but I am really curious to see if any other R-51 owners have had a similar problem with their trigger locking up after loading the pistol?

I think I make have had that happen with my Charlotte gun.  I think it was a case of a bullet wedged against the mag release.

funflyer

I had the opposite problem with mine when it was new, dead trigger. It would travel all the way to the rear but wouldn't catch the sear. Turned out to be a very hokey disconnector design. The trigger bar hangs on each side of the disconnector and mine was bent incorrectly so the bar was slipping past the sear. I opted to fix it myself instead of sending it in and has been trouble free for well over 1000k rounds.