• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Why I Bought an R51

Started by Norton Rider, December 29, 2017, 08:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Rider

I'm a retired engineering manager and have always been fascinated with ingenious mechanisms.  I like the way the Pedersen action works and have been interested in R51s since they first came out.  Recently Remington offered a $100 rebate.  The rebate, combined with my points at Cabela's, brought the price down to $100.  How could I not buy a cool gun for $100?!

I have a number of firearms.  I often carry a Taurus TCP in a pocket holster, but I wanted a carry gun with a harder hitting caliber.  Once broken-in I'm hoping that the R51 is reliable enough to be a carry gun.  Incidentally, my favorite handguns in my collection are a Remington R1, CZ 75BD, and a first gen S&W 66.

Chokejug

I too have numerous hand guns, always been a gun nut, 75 plus years now.  2 CZs, 2 Kahrs, 4 Rugers, (both revolvers and autos), S&W, Boberg, 1911 type RIA combo .22 TCM/9mm, etc, etc.

Right now I have put the Rem RM380 up and am carrying two R51s.  One IWB, the other in an oppsite side pocket holster.
Simplifies the ammo/magazine problems.

The Boberg is a X9L and is for sale if anyone is interested.  Have not had even a hint of a problem with it, perfect, other that it and my crooked, arthritic trigger finger dont get along.

johnnysR51

i was in the airport waiting to catch a plane home ,stop in the news stand and was looking at gun magazines there was a write up on the revised R51, the gun had nice lines, and.when I got home I went to the gun shops and tried to buy a R51, everybody I asked if they had a Remington R51 , handed me a gun they wanted to sell ,I ask several dealers , and most said I didn't want the gun, so that made me want one more, then I found one and I asked if for some reason there is a problem are they a Remington dealer for repairs , no was the answer, so I left and went to look up Remington dealers I found one 86 milies away , call and asked if they had a R51 in stock , yes they said, so I drove there and to talk to the dealer , when I got there and walk in the store I was greeded by 3 sales people , ask questions and got all the right answers , so I purchase the R51 , apond leaving I asked if they could disassemble and reassemble  for me they also why we have it apart do I need it clean oiled and greesed there was no charge and any time I needed clean stop by and its life time cleaning and if needed they have a gunsmith in house , also they ask if I needed any ammo ,,, I love the feel of the R51 and have to date put 300 rounds in it with no problems,i have used, BLASER BRASS. MAGTECH, REMINGTON ,  I am going to the range tomorrow 2/25 for 300 more rounds will follow up on that  :)
Johnny'sR51

russc2542

Quote from: Norton Rider on December 29, 2017, 08:30:38 AM
I'm a retired engineering manager and have always been fascinated with ingenious mechanisms.  I like the way the Pedersen action works and have been interested in R51s since they first came out.  Recently Remington offered a $100 rebate.  The rebate, combined with my points at Cabela's, brought the price down to $100.  How could I not buy a cool gun for $100?!

I have a number of firearms.  I often carry a Taurus TCP in a pocket holster, but I wanted a carry gun with a harder hitting caliber.  Once broken-in I'm hoping that the R51 is reliable enough to be a carry gun.  Incidentally, my favorite handguns in my collection are a Remington R1, CZ 75BD, and a first gen S&W 66.

Same reason I have a collection: I love all the different solutions to the same problem. my edc is a HK P7. Here's my interesting list: Pederson lock: R51 (and an old Model 51 in .380 on the way). roller lock: CZ52, Calico 951 (9mm carbine). Gas delayed: HK P7 M8, Walther CCP. sliding block: Walther P1. misc: Para P14-45 (because a single stack 1911 is far to plebeian) Chiappa Rhino, Bond Bullpup9 (similar to the boberg), RFB, Tavor X95,

Quote from: Chokejug on December 29, 2017, 06:49:51 PM
I too have numerous hand guns, always been a gun nut, 75 plus years now.  2 CZs, 2 Kahrs, 4 Rugers, (both revolvers and autos), S&W, Boberg, 1911 type RIA combo .22 TCM/9mm, etc, etc.

Right now I have put the Rem RM380 up and am carrying two R51s.  One IWB, the other in an oppsite side pocket holster.
Simplifies the ammo/magazine problems.

The Boberg is a X9L and is for sale if anyone is interested.  Have not had even a hint of a problem with it, perfect, other that it and my crooked, arthritic trigger finger dont get along.

Ack, I don't need to know that... I must ask if it still is and how much though.

Pat Riot

Let me start by saying I have owned quite a few guns but nowhere near all the guns that I have wanted.  ;D
I have sold quite a few guns over the years that I liked but didn't love. I do not believe in holding onto guns if I do not trust them or like them. I have no safe queens in this regard.

I have always had a thing for cowboy guns and guns of the early  1900's. I do Cowboy Action Shooting and I used to shoot IDPA and IPSC, but no longer.

I am a revolver guy. I love 'em. I have owned a couple 1911's and Glocks but I no longer have them.

I usually carry an S&W revolver. A 442 or a 36 or a model 60 Pro. I wanted a semi auto so I bought a Kel-Tec P3AT. I hated that gun. It hurt my trigger finger when I fired it and it danced like a punk rocker on amphetimines. I sold it. I went to a gun stire that has a range and they rent guns. I shot the Ruger LCP and the S&W Bodyguard 380 and wasn't too enamored with them and I was considering just going with a small 9mm when I saw the Remington RM380. I rented it, liked it, bought one. The trigger pull was long but the gun fit my big hand and the bonus was it wasn't polymer.

So, one day I was researching some guns from the early 1900's and saw a Remington model 51. I was intrigued and while looking into those I discovered the R51. Somehow their existence passed me by but I did some research decided to trust the new Gen 2 and bought one. I couldn't find one to rent so I assumed it would be like the RM380. The first time I pulled the trigger, boy, did I get a surprise. A nice single action pull. I did read all the hoohah about the terrible reset and the terrible trigger pull. I don't get it. I love the trigger on mine.

Anyway, here is my list on "Why I bought an R51"
1. Price - very reasonable
2. It isn't polymer
3. Low barrel axis
4. It's narrow
5. It's darn cool
6. It's a good looking pistol
7. It fits my big hands. I do want thicker grip panels
8. 7 rounds of 9mm beast 6 .380s or 5 .38's any day
9. It's darn cool
10. I love the 3 dot sights
11. I like the ambidextrous mag release
12. I like the backstrap safety
13. I like it's lines and snag free outline
14. I dig the odd engineering
15. DId I mention it's darn cool?  8)

Have a great day

1911SHOOTER

Pat,
     Welcome to the forum.  You are in a good place.  Most of us love this little
pistol, that looks like it should be in the bridge of the Enterprise!
I think Captain Kirk would probably carry one.
Blackie     
So many guns, so little time!

4 Ghost

The picture of General Patton led me to buying one when they first came out.  We all know how that went.  I waited patiently, and I now have 2 shooters, 1 black and a 2 Tone, both made in Huntsville, AL.

springfield art

Yes! The P3AT also hurts my finger when shooting, but it's just a small pocket hideaway thing, for emergency use only, in which case I won't notice the pinching you get with it. Maybe if I rounded the very end of the trigger off, it won't pinch so much! Just the sharpest very end of it.