• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

R51 Officially Discontinued

Started by paul7177, March 25, 2019, 03:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul7177

Received a reply from Remington, no more R-51 production.

scouts owner

Well we now all own collectors pieces. Might just be worth something in 50 years or so. Its a shame but I doubt they could make any money with the guns retailing for $250.
Keep this in mind when reading gun reviews, most are written by lets say the uninformed. People who never touched a 51 killed it with their stupid comments.

fknipfer1

Sound like Remington is doing the same as General Motors did a few years ago with their ignition switch
instead of putting a $1.00 shaft in it they put in a ten cent part that broke and cost them millions.
Remington put in a cheap trigger, cheap magazines and ruined their reputation and lost millions.  How
could they have been so stupid.  The gun is different and could have been a sensation except for the
decisions made by management.   Sounds like we won't be hearing from Remington again unless they
get someone to run it, that has some brains.

fknipfer1

funflyer

What they need to do is to start producing the R9, like they did the RM380. Rohrbaugh already did the hard work on a great design. I bet they'd sell more than all their handguns combined.

mr220v

The rm380 is already mostly set up to shoot 9mm anyway.  It could  easily replace the r51.  Wouldn't even need a different mag.  Just a different barrel and spring.

Plain Old Dave

Checked with my Remington source this morning. Production suspended =/= production discontinued. That said, Big Green has lost their shirt, socks and drawers in this deal. Wouldn't be surprising if it wasn't in the 2020 lineup.

funflyer

Here's the reply from Remington when I asked them about producing the R9. It's no wonder they have been sucking hind-tit in the handgun arena. They should start reading and try to understand what the gun community wants, and smaller compact 9's is where it's at.

"Good afternoon sir,

Thank you for visiting Remington Country! We certainly appreciate you taking the time to write in with your question. At this time Remington has no plans to produce the Rohrbaugh R9. We appreciate your interest in our products. Thank you and have a great day."

springfield art

I think they've been too bitten by this whole R51 episode to take up a new pistol at this point. Their 1911-types seem really nice, but there's so darn many new 9mm carry guns out there, that their opportunity has passed. We should all keep checking in on this site to keep up on what all of us owners discover in future.

lklawson

Quote from: springfield art on March 27, 2019, 03:16:50 PMTheir 1911-types seem really nice
Their 1911R1 guns in .45ACP are not +P rated, unlike even the 1911's from the Philippines.  This is a frustration for me because I'd like to be able to shoot .450 SMC (roughly 10mm ballistics from a .45 +P gun) or drop in a .460 Rowland conversion (which also requires a +P rated gun).  Even RIA can do this but the high quality, American made, Remington 1911's can't?  <sigh>

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Zenshot

Since the R51 is not a high volume seller, production runs only take a few months.  There would be no reason to keep it in production 12 month per year.
-David

waltsblues

I was at my local RK store yesterday picking up farm supplies and they no longer have R51's in the display case.
Didn't get to talk to any sales guys they were too busy.
I just checked there website and they have them listed with CT for $399.00 but it says "factory ship" whatever that means.
Also I just bought another Desantis mini scabbard at holsters unlimited for $24.20 if anyone is interested. Now they have 4 left.
http://www.gunholstersunlimited.com/advancedsearch/result/?q=019BA1AZ0
Birddogs, Home grown tomatoes and the Blues. To me it don't get much better than that!

Sirrus Rider

Quote from: waltsblues on April 07, 2019, 07:56:25 AM
I was at my local RK store yesterday picking up farm supplies and they no longer have R51's in the display case.
Didn't get to talk to any sales guys they were too busy.
I just checked there website and they have them listed with CT for $399.00 but it says "factory ship" whatever that means.
Also I just bought another Desantis mini scabbard at holsters unlimited for $24.20 if anyone is interested. Now they have 4 left.
http://www.gunholstersunlimited.com/advancedsearch/result/?q=019BA1AZ0

A fair guess is they will order you one upon request.

springfield art

I think the market is moving on to the new Mossberg carry 9. It's gotten rave reviews in all the publications.

Zenshot

The new Beretta APX Carry is getting some good reviews.
Also, the Naroh N1 looks interesting.
-David

Swschu

I went to the range today. My R51 functioned flawlessly and out performed a SIG P320. I think Remington is making a huge mistake pulling the plug on this fine firearm.