• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Another Sooch00 R51 review

Started by Zenshot, March 07, 2019, 05:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenshot

Sooch00 posted another YouTube video review on the R51.  Despite only 1 stoppage firing 1,000 rounds, he is still hesitant about the R51.
I don't get it.  Probably most pistols priced under $400 would have at least 1 stoppage in 1,000 rounds. 
-David

GerryR

Some pistols costing much more than that have many more problems than 1 stoppage in 1000 rounds.  Many problems that I have had with new-to-me pistols have been caused by my lack of familiarity with them.  Once I have "learned " the pistol, many of the problems seem to disappear.

One of the things that has always bothered me is how many people will take their carry gun, and put thousands of rounds through it, and never consider the MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) of this "mechanical" item.  All mechanical things have a failure rate.  So, the idea is to put a few hundred rounds through a pistol to gain familiarity and confidence with it, then, maybe ,put a magazine or two through it once a month to maintain that confidence.

You are asking for a failure to happen at the wrong time, if you carry a pistol that has thousands of rounds through it. OK at the range, but I wouldn't bet my life on it for carry.   JMO.
Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment!

Zenshot

That's a good reason to have two R51s. One for the range and one for the holster.
-David

GerryR

Maybe a third one too, just in case one does fail!   :D
Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment!

Zenshot

Well, I don't have a gray R51 yet..  hmmm
-David

R51Fan2017

So.....what's the gripe? Saying you wouldn't buy a gun because of ONE malfunction in 1000 rounds? In my opinion it shows what lack of experience you have in handling guns if you shy from one that produces results like that. 99% of all cases it is simply remove the mag, rack the slide, and re-insert and you are good to go. Very rarely do you have a fight ending malfunction, and very rarely is it the guns fault. If he really knew what the heck he was doing, it wouldn't be a problem for him.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Sirrus Rider

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on March 09, 2019, 09:34:39 AM
So.....what's the gripe? Saying you wouldn't buy a gun because of ONE malfunction in 1000 rounds? In my opinion it shows what lack of experience you have in handling guns if you shy from one that produces results like that. 99% of all cases it is simply remove the mag, rack the slide, and re-insert and you are good to go. Very rarely do you have a fight ending malfunction, and very rarely is it the guns fault. If he really knew what the heck he was doing, it wouldn't be a problem for him.

I agree it's much ado about nothing.. Most gunfights will be solved with the first shot maybe two. Secondly, The best solution to the problem is know your weapon.. Shoot it often.