• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

R51 after action report.

Started by Plain Old Dave, February 01, 2019, 04:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plain Old Dave

Just got done shooting.

1) Very reliable. 2 FTFs from about 35 rounds in a brand new gun isn't bad.

2) Very accurate too. Hits VERY low with every 115gr load I have tried, though.  Reminds me of my old Arcus HP close in that regard. Looked round the site, and it may be the sights are designed for combat sight picture; place center dot (not top edge of the sight) where you want the bullet to go. Developing story.

3) The delayed blowback mechanism works. Less felt recoil than my Star BM with equivalent loads, almost like a 380 with standard 9mm.

4) Mechanics are odd. Seems like the gun wants to be charged from empty with an open slide. Tactical reloads shouldn't pose an issue, though.

Going to work in a sec, and this will be the carry gun tonight.

Zenshot

With a full 7 in the magazine, it does prefer to be charged from the slide locked open position.
-David

lklawson

Quote from: Plain Old Dave on February 01, 2019, 04:50:29 PM
2) Very accurate too. Hits VERY low with every 115gr load I have tried, though.  Reminds me of my old Arcus HP close in that regard. Looked round the site, and it may be the sights are designed for combat sight picture; place center dot (not top edge of the sight) where you want the bullet to go. Developing story.
Remington pistols seem to come from the factory with a Combat Center Hold sight alignment.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Plain Old Dave

Update.

I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 rounds and the only stoppages I'm getting are hangups on the feed ramp initially charging. Once I'm shooting, 10p% reliable.

Re: combat sighting.  That DOES seem to be the case with this gun. As an old Service Rifle shooter, 6:00 is a very difficult habit to break. Combat sighting isn't conducive to best accuracy either.

lklawson

Quote from: Plain Old Dave on February 04, 2019, 08:36:55 PMRe: combat sighting.  That DOES seem to be the case with this gun. As an old Service Rifle shooter, 6:00 is a very difficult habit to break. Combat sighting isn't conducive to best accuracy either.
I had the same problem.  Hard habit to break.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Plain Old Dave

Update.  We're at 135 rounds and the piece is definitely getting more reliable. Still experimenting with different ammo...

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Plain Old Dave on February 06, 2019, 07:53:11 PM
Update.  We're at 135 rounds and the piece is definitely getting more reliable. Still experimenting with different ammo...

Glad to hear! I am at almost 400 rounds, and zero malfunctions myself! This little pistol in my opinion (other than Remington's remake of the 1911)  is perhaps the best remade pistol of the 21st Century.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Plain Old Dave

28 Geco rounds gets us to 163. Ran perfectly, and Geco ammo is good stuff. Pic won't attach.

Plain Old Dave

28 SiG P365 rounds, very reliable and accurate. 191, and about as close to malfunctions as I have are chambering the 1st round is a bit sluggish when the gun is dirty.

Plain Old Dave

Update.  Tried every commonly available 115gr load and they all hit low. Front sight is stuck fast, so off to Remington later today.

fknipfer1

I am at 100+ rds no stoppages,  shoots dead on up to 15yds.  Couldn't be happier.  When I get to 300rds with no stoppages
I will use as a carry gun.
fknipfer1

lklawson

Quote from: Plain Old Dave on March 11, 2019, 08:29:44 AM
Update.  Tried every commonly available 115gr load and they all hit low. Front sight is stuck fast, so off to Remington later today.
Again, everything hits low because Remington didn't set it up with Bullseye sight alignment.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

springfield art

I'm glad the "combat hold" was pointed out to me. I'm so used to the bullseye 6 o'clock sight picture that I forgot about the combat hold. Just one more informative thing I've learned from this Forum. Thanks, all.

lklawson

Quote from: springfield art on March 12, 2019, 10:43:24 AMI'm so used to the bullseye 6 o'clock sight picture that I forgot about the combat hold.
Me too.  When I got my Remington 1911R1, "for some strange reason" it was hitting low.  ;)  So I got an adjustable rear sight (wrong cut - doesn't fit my slide) and got a hold of a gunsmith who, coincidentally, is also a Training Counselor.  He asked me how I was sighting it.  When I told him traditional bullseye, he reminded me.  <forehead slap>  :D

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Plain Old Dave

Quote from: lklawson on March 12, 2019, 07:30:20 AM
Quote from: Plain Old Dave on March 11, 2019, 08:29:44 AM
Again, everything hits low because Remington didn't set it up with Bullseye sight alignment.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Even with the combat sighting,  still 5" more or less low. Huntsville has it as of about 20 minutes ago.  I'll post more as I find out more.