• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

R51 Disassembly Tooling

Started by GerryR, January 23, 2019, 01:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineerpower

Gerry, just tried out the T&E sample you sent me. All I can say is: NICE  ;D

I wasn't expecting it to make a big difference, BUT IT DOES. I'll be doing a write up this week, and I'll post it here with pics.

Good. Job.
Cameron Husk
Dir, Engineering - DangerCo, LLC

"Therefore, worry not for the morrow; the morrow shall worry for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -Matthew 6:34

shinerjohn

This tool works great!  It makes a huge difference! Great job, GerryR!

GerryR

I have made 5 more sets of tools for the standard barrel pistol, and they are available for purchase.  PM me if you would like a set.  Thanks.
Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment!

wa2bop

This is far and away the best accessory for the R51 ever!
Quickest field strip and reassembly I've ever done.
Barry
What, Me Worry?

Joel1947

The quality of Gerry's disassembly tool is amazing. His instructions are complete, and he has been very helpful with advise. Don't hesitate to buy his "invention". Remington should make it standard issue with the R51, especially for those of us with small, older hands.

HRH1948

The disassembly tools are a must have for all R-51 owners!  This is particularly true if you opt to go with a threaded barrel.

Or, you might enjoy wasting time, pinched fingers, gnarled fingernails, bruised palms and fingers, and the sound of reverberating profanity in your pistol disassembly and cleaning area.

:)

Engineerpower

Gerry sent me a set for T&E, and I wanted to share my review with the group.

Bottom-line up-front: I love this tool. It's well made, makes this pistol MUCH easier to dis/assemble, and saves your thumb from the feed ramp.

This is for the threaded-barrel version of the tool set that Gerry makes. It's a two-piece set, milled and turned out of 6061 aircraft-grade aluminum and polished tool-steel pins. The machining is quite well done, and every edge is deburred.

To use it, lock the pistol slide back with the slide lock, and thread the round piece onto the barrel until it's flush with the muzzle. I gave Gerry the added barrel length, and it's spot on.

Release the slide catch, and ease the slide forward until it's against the round spacer. You'll see the little humped key of the catch in the window of the slide. You can pop that out to remove the slide.

The square thumb pusher slips over the feed ramp, then fits nice and tightly onto the barrel. It will rotate down, and hold on pretty well.

SO MUCH EASIER to push the barrel forward, and keep control of it as you rotate it up to get the bushing to catch on the slide. Unthread the round spacer from the barrel, and drop out the breechblock.

The pusher helps to pull the barrel out from the slide. This is a little tricker for the longer threaded barrel, but having the pusher to wiggle with helped a lot. There's a video out there of one of the Remington company guys slipping it apart like a 1911, but I'm far from that level of mastery. This made a big difference, and produces less wear on the threads.

After cleaning or whatever, everything goes back in reverse order. I was able to slip my barrel back into the barrel bushing, which was still being held in the slide by the spring. Again, the pusher is VERY handy for getting the barrel back in. I know a lot of older guys can struggle with fine motor tasks; I can't help but thinking this is a must-have accessibility tool for anyone with lessened hand strength or dexterity.

All in all, this was a great idea, and I'm really happy Gerry is helping out the R51 community with his tools. I would highly recommend them, and just learned to like my R51 a little more ;D

Cameron Husk

"Therefore, worry not for the morrow; the morrow shall worry for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -Matthew 6:34

GerryR

Thanks for the write-up.  One thing is a little confusing, "This is for the threaded-barrel Gerry makes......"  Just to be clear, I do not make threaded barrels.  I made this particular tool to fit the barrels you make, and am happy to supply a tool to those who buy your threaded barrels to ease the frustration of field stripping the R51.  Again, thanks for the write-up; just wanted to be clear.  ;)

Engineerpower

Opp, sorry, was supposed to be "This is for the threaded-barrel version Gerry makes".

I'll fix that in the review...
Cameron Husk

GerryR

Three sets available for immediate delivery.  :)

GONRA

GONRA hasa "Gen 2" and  is interested yer tooling.   Send me a "PM" or ???

GerryR

DekNgo

I'd be interested in one of the threaded barrel sets.

GerryR

Details at:   http://www.totalautomation.us/guncorner.htm  Use the "Contact Us" page, and call me with a CC number, and I will get a set in the mail to you.  PM me if you have difficulty with my website.  Thank you for your interest.

DryrotUK1985

OK people, i just received the kit for the non threaded barrel in the mail. i put off dinner, grabbed my cleaning box and commenced with the tear-down. folks, this kit IS EXACTLY AS PROMISED. works like a charm. reassembly too. thumb pusher is the best part. no more pinched thumbs and cramps from holding the spring back. If you are contemplating one of these kits, don't wait.