• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

New R51 Shoots Great

Started by ulflyer, January 15, 2019, 02:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulflyer

H006587R51, Black, made in Huntsville, picked up today, 1-15-19.  Oiled it up,  then fired 85 rounds of mixed brands off my back porch just to check function with minimal problems:

Twice a Mag fell out after the first round was fired...haven't figured it out as none of my fingers or hand  touch the release when firing!  Forgot to check which mags they were.  This was early on.  Maybe I did somehow press on the release without knowing.  This doesn't seem a mechanical issue,  more like human error.

Then,  on two occasions,  the second round in each mag failed to chamber.  Turns out these factory loads from Slovakia were a thousandth longer than the longest of the others and the second round hung up by touching the front lip of the mag, and the slide failed to close.  The other 5 rounds in each of the mags fired after that.  I put those aside for use in a different 9mm.

Ammo:

Freedom XTP HP      115 OAL 1.075  (7 rounds shot)
Remington +P HP      124 OAL 1.120  (7 rounds shot)
Magtech    FMC RN   115 OAL  1.155  (14 rounds shot)
Hotshot     FMJ  RN    124  OAL  1.160 (14 rounds; couple hangups on mag lip)
My Reloads  FMC RN 115  OAL  1.120 ( 4.5gr 231)  (43 rounds shot)

Some primers showed light strikes mainly on the Slovakian ammo,  but non failed to ignite.  Maybe they use a harder primer.  I use Federal or Winchester.

MAG Feeder Lip Measurements:

#1.   Rear 0.352  Front 0.338
#2.   Rear 0.351  Front 0.338

I have a bunch of light 100 grain bullets that I used to load 380's;  going to load up a few to try in the R51 just for grins since it seems to do well with 115's.  I'm out of 231/HP38 powder but have plenty of Clays and Bullseye on hand. 

Overall,  couldn't be happier with the initial showing.  FWIW,  after shooting enough to see it was functioning ok,   I leaned a piece of tin,  about 6" wide by 12" high up against the stump about 25-30 feet away,  and It seemed to group well and shot POA.  When WX warms up I can put up some targets to see how I do.

Only CON for me is that the grip seems too thin with front grip too aggressive.   Might try making some fatter grips one day just for fun or perhaps a rubber cover..

Forgot to add:  Take down was easy;  putting it back was a ball breaker.  Might start hosing it down with hot water!  ::) 

Swschu

Buy the laminate grips while you can....theu have a bulge for your palms. Gunprodeals. By the way, I represent them in no way other than a consumer who likes low prices and fast service😁

Swschu

I forgot...your magazine dropping out after the first round....was your fault....it wasnt fully seated😱

Zenshot

The mags can seem like they are seated properly when sometimes they are not.  It takes a while to get the feel of the right click that tells you it's seated all the way.
-David

ulflyer

Quote from: Swschu on January 15, 2019, 03:02:20 PM
Buy the laminate grips while you can....theu have a bulge for your palms. Gunprodeals. By the way, I represent them in no way other than a consumer who likes low prices and fast service😁

Looked all over their web site;  can't find them.  Maybe they are sold out.  Ordered a rubber texture stick on from Ebay for $11.

I think you are right about not getting mags seated.  Didn't happen after I had run a several mags thru.

Swschu

Gunprodeals....R51 laminate grips...i just saw them..get them while you can. The stick on skate board type slip off and do not resist oils.

ulflyer

Quote from: Swschu on January 16, 2019, 07:31:22 AM
Gunprodeals....R51 laminate grips...i just saw them..get them while you can. The stick on skate board type slip off and do not resist oils.

Have looked several times;  where did you find them:  under accessories,  handguns,  ?

Swschu

R51 Laminated grips
Brand
Item REM19996
SKU
UPC 6047700199962
$29.99
Gunprodeals.com

Swschu

I just received the G10 grips....they have a swell for the palm also....and look great on a smoke R51.

Zenshot

It looks like Gunprodeals bought all of Remington's inventory of R51 accessories. 
-David

ulflyer

Swschu

Its 24 to ship 2 magazines from Remington! I find the low price of the grips kind of compensates for the shipping. G10 grips were expensive from Remington.

springfield art

I always liked that the frame is aluminum, a nice break from plastic-everything! It's one of the reasons I bought my R51.

Spitfireguy

Re: Magazine seating.

I too have experienced a feeding malfunction which I attributed to an improperly seated magazine.  I seem to recall reading in the instructions enclosed with the R51 that Remington advises that excessive force should not used when inserting the magazine.  This is what encouraged me to go light on inserting the magazine; causing the feeding problem IMHO.

While I don't personally advocate actively reforming the lips of a magazine, perhaps maybe driving the magazine firmly in place would provide any "reforming" which is necessary? 

Just a thought.

-

ulflyer

All three of my mags have what I call a sloppy fit.  When seated,  there is a bit of up and down movement.  None of my other auto loaders have this excess.  Somehow I suspect it was engineered to be this way,  perhaps something they did trying to compensate for loading malfunctions.

I shot a bunch of 100gr bullets today loaded from 4.0 to 4.5 with HP38.  Didn't get thru a single mag without one or more failures to eject or failure to pick up fresh bullet.  Lower loads were worse.  I've been playing with these 100 gr bullets trying to use up the excess from my 380 days.  Going to try some in a Bersa to see if it handles them.  I suspect it will.   

BTW,  I put the Bersa mag in the R51 and while it wouldn't seat,  by holding it in with a several bullets in the mag,  I manually worked the slide and it chambered and ejected  I'm not inclined to try live firing with it,  but was curious because the Bersa uses a flat follower.