• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

After action with my CT edition R-51

Started by Sirrus Rider, April 27, 2019, 08:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirrus Rider

Just came back from shooting my Crimson trace edition R- 51. I experienced none of the usual R-51 maladies. It wasn't picture-perfect I had two failures to feed. One was a stovepipe jam (that can happen with almost any gun) and another where the round was chambered but the slide did not go all the way into battery. It was almost like the round was a little off center and got wedged against the edge of the chamber. Once the round was pulled out and then seated properly it went bang.. no problem
What I found interesting was I shot the South African surplus (headstamp DNL) which in my Charlotte gun would get cratered primers. In this Huntsville Crimson trace edition, it fired perfectly! So if you are getting cratered primers I'm of the strong opinion to go ahead and send them gun back in to Remington and let them deal with it.
The sight picture is still the same compared to my earlier Charlotte gun. It has to be combat/center of mass otherwise it will shoot low.
I still need to shoot this newer gun a few more times before I feel comfortable carrying it, but overall I feel that these later Huntsville produced guns seem to be better than the earlier Charlotte guns

Zenshot

Are the cratered primers failing to fire?  I have noticed that primers that have a cratered appearance after firing is not uncommon with many types of 9mm ammo. And it happens using a variety of different pistols. 
Unless the rounds are failing to eject, I just ignore it.
-David

Sirrus Rider

Quote from: Zenshot on April 28, 2019, 10:53:23 AM
Are the cratered primers failing to fire?  I have noticed that primers that have a cratered appearance after firing is not uncommon with many types of 9mm ammo. And it happens using a variety of different pistols. 
Unless the rounds are failing to eject, I just ignore it.

In ether pistol the ammo is firing, but in the Charlotte gun the cratering is more prevalent. That is why I made comment as the Huntsville gun which is newer,  is hardly doing it..

Zenshot

Does the firing pin hole on the Peterson block look different on the two guns? Is one larger or have more rounded edges?
-David

Sirrus Rider

Quote from: Zenshot on April 30, 2019, 08:20:24 AM
Does the firing pin hole on the Peterson block look different on the two guns? Is one larger or have more rounded edges?

Will take a look when I get home tonight.

Sirrus Rider

Quote from: Zenshot on April 30, 2019, 08:20:24 AM

I looked at my Charlottesville gun and the firing pin hole does look slightly larger than what's on the Peterson block of the Huntsville gun.