• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

New smoke gray R51

Started by Ben B., January 14, 2019, 03:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben B.

I picked up a $235 shipped gray R51 from Gun Pro this month. Have been eyeing these pistols for several years and never did it because it served no role other than "I want it". This deal was too good plus I'd had a few bourbons and impulse got the better of me.

On arrival, one mag was good and the other tight with 7 rds, so I sanded the legs of the follower a bit and tried again for about 90 mins until there was enough rom for the 7th rd to depress when the slide was operating. Stripped and cleaned and oiled it, not much difficulty there. Trigger clean, about 5.75 lb on my trigger scale.

At the range, the 1st 4 mags shot perfect. Then some problems cropped up. Had the next round in mag come flying thru ejection port, that was a new one to me. A stove pipe. A fault to feed or 2. Fired about 80 rds mixed of reloads and Ranger T, had 4 fails. Took it home, stripped and cleaned it.

Next session I shot a variety of reloads and some 147 gr American Eagle. I also shot up about 30 different  case-gauge fail reloads I had accumulated over the years and they all fired and ejected. American Eagle ran fine. Fired about 100 rds and they all worked. The trigger measures 5.25 lb after cleaning and oiling again. Fired 7+1 many times, no problems. Seems to shoot low, but I need to put it on paper and not just plink at small steel at 50 ft. Have been short on time pst 2 range trips.

Feels good in hand. Looks cool. Have a threaded barrel coming and will stick my old Poseidon can on it and see how she does before messing with sights.

ulflyer

Ben B:  I'm a reloader as well (presuming you reloaded yours).  Can you tell me what grain bullet you used and particularly the COL?   From what I've read here is the R51 does best with relatively short COL's.  Most of mine that I have already loaded are 115's with COL of 1.120.   

Ben B.

Hello ulflyer. Yes I reload for every CF gun I own. Most of my 9mm loads are going to be 147s or 160s, as my main use for 9mm is USPSA, IDPA, steel or 3gun. There MAY have been some 135 grainers in the assorted culls I shot up the other day. Probably no 124s or lighter, don't recall buying anything less than 147. My OAL is 1.130 to 1.150" depending on which bullet I'm loading, and probably more upon wherever the seating stem was left on the prior batch. I didn't measure anything when testing, but doubt anything was less than 1.130 or so.

HTH,
Ben