• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Is Remington still making R51's?

Started by ulflyer, January 02, 2019, 05:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulflyer

visited two local gun shops today to get pricing;  one said his distributor had 100 guns available,  and the other said his distributor had "red lined" them, meaning they were no longer available.  He didn't know if that simply meant they were not being stocked by that distributor, or if Remington had stopped making them.  I doubt it was the latter,  but who knows as there seems to be a lot of unsold ones on dealer shelves.

lklawson

It's still on Remington's website, they have links to 3 different "vendors" there, and Bud's still lists them as in-stock.

https://www.remington.com/handguns/remington-r51/remington-r51

Might be that Remington has something planned for SHOT.  <shrug>

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

R51Fan2017

Remington is still showing the pistol in their catalog. I haven't heard any industry news reporting that they have or are going to quit making them anytime soon. I am hoping that they will start to gain a little bit more of a following and hopefully be successful.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

BillySteph

Mine is still running flawless no matter the ammo. I believe there is no reason sales should not take off at its price point now. The one thing that holds it back is Military's YouTube review when he purposely assembled it wrong and fired several rounds. It gives a false impression. And as far as assembly. This thing is ridiculously easy. And to those having issues. Try wearing mechanics gloves to hold the grooves on the barrel. But good Lord unless you have severe arthritis there is no excuse. My wife can disassemble and reassemble for Gods sake, lol. This is a very cool pistol that's far out of the norm and that's a good thing!

springfield art

I kind of doubt that Remington is still cranking these out at the factory. Any time a product has had the bad publicity this one has, there can't be much demand for it. Mine works fine. A local high volume range/store that is a big Remington dealer doesn't show it at all anymore; I think they got spooked off of it. The company wouldn't want to announce any termination as long as many are sitting on the shelves. Just my guess, I've no 'inside' information, either. Have a great 2018, all!  :D

ulflyer

I'm afraid you are right Springfield,  but if I can find a new one priced right, I'll buy it.

jreinke

Well it looks as though the R51 ship has sailed.  I had a friend of mine inquire about threaded barrels at the SHOT Show and was told that the R51 had been discontinued. It's not in the 2019 catalog either.  The last nail in the coffin was when I was searching for cheap R51's on Gunbroker, I ran across a dealer who has over 6000 of them in on hand, which pretty well indicates that he bought Remington's entire stock.  The good thing is he's selling them for $227 each!!!!!  Here's a link: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/797745264

I'm so pissed at Remington for screwing this up.  If they wouldn't have jumped the gun to hurry production for SHOT 2014 this fine firearm would still be in production with maybe a 45 cal version on the horizon.  But Nooooooooooo, they had to F*ck it up.

BTW I've got one of DangerCo's threaded barrels and my R51 suppresses quite nicely in deed!

Zenshot

That's really unfortunate.  I thought a gen 3 could really tie up some loose ends in the design.  What does that mean for warranty support?
-David

mr220v

Well, i guess its time to start waiting for the big liquidation clearance.  When I start seeing these going for $100-150, ill buy a ton of them.

Im guessing when there is an official announcement that it's being discontinued, this will confirm everyone's bias that these were junk.  I would imagine thats when the firesale will start.

Personally, id ditch every other handgun i own in favor of these. 

Hasaf

Part of my motivation for my recent purchase of one, in Dec 2019, was that I had a feeling that they would be discontinued soon. The low price, drop in advertising, and yes, the continual internet bashing, were the indicators to me.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: mr220v on February 03, 2019, 10:06:22 AM
Well, i guess its time to start waiting for the big liquidation clearance.  When I start seeing these going for $100-150, ill buy a ton of them.

Im guessing when there is an official announcement that it's being discontinued, this will confirm everyone's bias that these were junk.  I would imagine thats when the firesale will start.

Personally, id ditch every other handgun i own in favor of these.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Dito. My strategy exactly.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Plain Old Dave

Went to Rural King today, and the R51 is back to $200. "Clearance" at least there seems to be a synonym for "sale."

Indyman

I received a reply this morning from Remington to the effect that the R51 is not currently in production.

Indyman

A representative from Remington suggested that the R51 might only be temporarily out of production, since production of all their firearms is sporadic. The last production run of R51s was in November.  I am trying to get a more definitive answer, and when I do, I will post it here.

R51Fan2017

Please do. I hope this is only temporary. I think that even after a terribly rocky start, the R51s popularity may actually be slowly on the rise. It would be a shame to kill it now.

- Larry Elder