• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

New R51 at the range

Started by seaboss, December 17, 2018, 10:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaboss

Hello,

I took my new R51 to the range this morning. Wow! Very impressed with this pistol. I truly didn't know what to expect based on the negative reviews I've seen. I brought two compact pistols in 9mm to compare the handling and recoil. I had no major malfunctions, and I couldn't believe how much recoil was reduced with this unique design. I was more accurate with the R51 than the other pistols I brought with me. I ran approx 150 rounds through it today.
I was so impressed I ordered the smoke grey version when I got home. I will put another few hundred rounds through the R51, and this will be one of my primary carry pieces. I'm so glad I didn't listen to the crap out there about this pistol. Remington has a winner!
Sorry for the long post.

SCurmudgeon

What else where you shooting to compare?

seaboss

I brought two Rugers.
An EC9s, and a Security 9.
I liked the R51 better. It had far less recoil, shot to POA, and I also liked the trigger.
I'm looking forward to my next range trip.

Thank you.

Zenshot

A single action hammer fired trigger (like the R51) is usually superior in accuracy.  Add a fixed match grade low profile barrel and it doesn't get any better than that.
-David

seaboss

Hello all,

I just returned from the range with my black R51 and my new smoke grey R51.
I happy to report, both pistols shot very well. Great triggers, smooth action, and very accurate. I put around 250 rounds through both today. The range officer was interested, so I let him shoot a few magazines. He was equally impressed and said he would like to purchase one.
So, I'm very pleased with my two R51's, and I look forward to the next range trip.
Thank you.

Zenshot

That's what we like to hear!  There is really nothing fundamentally wrong with the design of the R51.  If there are any issues, it's almost always something to do with the magazine.  Hopefully the current mags have a better spring than the earlier ones.
-David

Hasaf

I also got mine out to shoot for the first time this weekend. Out of the box I has a few failures (yes, I always try "out of the box" unless it will obviously be dangerous). Once I cleaned and lubed it I had no troubles for slightly over a hundred rounds.

I only shot the factory barrel, I didn't get around to using the threaded barrel. As far as take-down, it really wasn't that hard. Yes, it is different, but not hard.

ulflyer

Hasaf, is it an AL or NC gun?    Did it  shoot POA or low like many have reported?

Whoops,  just read ur previous thread that its a Smokey from AL.

lklawson

Quote from: Zenshot on December 22, 2018, 01:12:25 PMIf there are any issues, it's almost always something to do with the magazine.
True with most semi-autos.  :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Swschu

POA is Combat Center Hold dont forget.

Spitfireguy

POA is Combat Center Hold dont forget.

^            ^           ^

This explains much.  I'm not too proud to admit that I had to look-up what his means, and as I read the definition I do remember being told about this a few years back by a Marine.  I grew-up with a target shooting discipline, and so my groups were about 4 to 6 inches low.  I've simply been compensating by aiming as much high, but using the CCH should put me right in there.

A side note here:  I tend to hold the gun with a chapman stance and the 6 o'clock target hold (that'll change to CCH now).  While shooting at the range, another club member noticed that I was using an R51 and began to inquire.  I decided to hand him a full magazine and take some shots (no better way to win a convert than by putting it in their hands and letting them use it), he was favorably impressed.  What I found interesting is that he had no trouble hitting to POA; I also noticed that he shot one-handed with the gun extended (upright) straight-out to his side.  FWIW, when I emulated this stance I found the gun to shoot much closer to POA, even with the 6 o'clock target hold; perhaps it has to do with the the gun being extended further out?  Anyway, I just thought I'd mention this - YMMV.

springfield art

I've only shot about 350 rds. from my R51, so I need more experience with it to state authoritatively, but I found it shot, with standard 9mm hardball, way Low. Wonder if anyone else found this. I mean, at 15 yds., at least 15-18 inches low.

Spitfireguy

Quote from: springfield art on January 14, 2019, 03:29:56 PM
I've only shot about 350 rds. from my R51, so I need more experience with it to state authoritatively, but I found it shot, with standard 9mm hardball, way Low. Wonder if anyone else found this. I mean, at 15 yds., at least 15-18 inches low.

Short answer to your question:  Not sure. 

Beyond that - let me start by saying right here, to avoid any pretense, I'm not an expert shooter, indeed I am far from an expert shooter; that said, neither am I a complete noob. 

This being stated:  Are you using the 6 o'clock target hold (bullseye resting on the POA), or the combat target hold (POA covering the bullseye)?

While you state that your experience with the R51 is limited to about 350 rounds (congrats - that's more than my current experience with this particular gun), but we're still left to guess what your general handgun experience level is; as well as what ammo you were using.  I have no intention whatsoever of giving any offense, nor is it my intent to talk down to you so please do not interpret any of this in any such manner.

My shots tended to fall about 4 to 6 inches low with the 6 o'clock target hold at a distance of 7 yards (21 feet); the same hold dropped at least an inch or two lower at 10 yards (30 feet, the longest I've shot yet with the R51) - how would all of that translate at 15 yards (45 feet)?  I can't say for sure, but don't dismiss the math so quickly, if 30 is 15x2, and 45 is 15x3, then you've increased the bullet's travel by another 50% - depending on the ammo used, bullet drop can be an amazing phenomenon.

For my own part, my shots tend to fall low and to the left - which, experienced shooters tell me, means that I'm anticipating the gun's recoil, and am pushing on the gun to compensate as I'm firing.  This is something I have a tendency to do more with semi-autos than with revolvers - which is why (up until the R51) I have generally preferred to shoot revolvers.  As I understand things, it is something that newer (and less disciplined) shooters tend to do.  You may be a very experienced handgun shooter, or you may be relatively new to shooting semi-auto handguns; or like myself, you may have experience, but are not fully disciplined in handgun shooting.   I can only guess. 

Beyond all of this, I will say that 15 yards (45 feet) would seem to be a relatively long shot for a gun intended for close personal defense.  I expect it would take a well disciplined and experienced shooter to print a tight group with a 3.5" barrel at that range.  I certainly can't.

Again, apologies if I have offended your level of shooting experience; this is not my intent.  I have, no doubt, shown some of the limits of my own shooting experience; nevertheless, I hope I have been of some help to you or others.

springfield art

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I appreciate your sincere comments, and look forward to taking the R51 out again for much more volume shooting. This is a helpful site; I don't get into lots of sites, very limited, but the people on this one seem very dedicated to making these little pistols work! I just need to take it out to the range more and "wring it out". You make some good points!  :D

GerryR

"For my own part, my shots tend to fall low and to the left - which, experienced shooters tell me, means that I'm anticipating the gun's recoil, and am pushing on the gun to compensate as I'm firing."  First time I have heard this.  From what I have been taught, most people with a "new" pistol, that they are not accustomed to, do this.  I have taught NRA Basic pistol classes (very basic!) and the "NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting" has some neat diagrams showing grouping errors due to improper trigger technique and due to common grip errors.  It is a worthwhile manual to have in your shooting library.

Low and to the left can mean that you are putting the tip of the finger on the trigger and pushing the gun to the left (right hand hold assumed) and squeezing the grip with the middle, ring and pinky, the pinky being the culprit for pulling the barrel down.  Generally, you want to have the trigger's edge at the first crease down from the tip, and you would only squeeze the grip with the middle and ring fingers.

If you look at the palm of your hand, you will see that the line at the base of the middle and ring fingers is fairly straight and the base of the pinky makes an angle to the base of the middle and ring fingers.  Squeezing with the pinky will pull the barrel in a downward motion.  I use the "tea totaler's" grip with my pinky sticking out.

Of course there are many aspects to all this, how the gun fits your hand, the size of the gun, etc. and pocket pistols and compacts tend to be more suitable for people with smaller hands, so we adjust accordingly.

I'm starting to get some range time with my R51 and hopefully will be able to get some good groupings.  My first impression from shooting this pistol is that it is very accurate and the sights seem accurate.  My first magazine was low and to the left, but subsequent shots were at point of aim.  Well, I'll just have to "waste" more ammo and keep on practicing.  :)
Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment!