• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

R-51 Concealed Carry w/ Crimson Trace

Started by Sirrus Rider, December 05, 2018, 01:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirrus Rider

Okay how is it done?  I know the Desantis IWB for the PPK/S works for the R-51 without the laser, but I haven't seen a holster that would work with the laser sight. Also, should I even bother with the laser?? How many of you actively use laser sights??

pfm41

I had the same questions but didn't want to spend a lot on a holster until I know the R51 is a gun I will carry.  Talon lists their OWB holster for the R51CT but they don't show the ct option for any of their IWB models.  I did order a Desantis Outback from Amazon for $14 and should have it tomorrow.  I'll post my opinion in a few days.

pfm41

The Desantis Outback is a no-go for the R51 with LaserGuard.  It won't seat deep enough to provide any retention.  It may work without the laser but I'm not removing it just to find out.  It will work perfectly for an original Model 51.  Now I'm back to the Talon OWB or Crossbreed Snapside; both are available for the laser guns.

Zenshot

N82 Tactical makes a good iwb holster that fits the R51 with laser.  It's the "Compact Slim With Trigger Mounted Laser" model.
-David

470Evans

I carry my R51 with the CT in the Outbags LP2 Shield Pancake holster.

They are inexpensive, around $30 and fit great.

waltsblues

My R51 w/ Crimson Trace fits nicely, like a glove in my Desantis mini scabbard for the LC9 W/Crimson Trace its model LG412

I found this after reading this great old post has photos of both guns on top of each other

http://r51pistol.com/remington-r51-facts-and-specs/new-r51-owner-impressions/
Birddogs, Home grown tomatoes and the Blues. To me it don't get much better than that!

Swschu

For a close defense pistol I would forego the laser completely and practice instintive point and shoot.....with both hands....no, not together..one handed, left and right. The ergonomics of the R51 are designed for rhat style of shooting.

ulflyer

Here in N.C. the gun shows have one or two tables with nothing but holsters,  most of which are made here by one small maker.  When I want a holster I take the gun and get one that fits to suit.  Sorta doubt they make one specifically for the R51 but with a table full it shouldn't be hard to find something.  I don't plan on carrying anyway as I am used to a Kahr which is lighter weight or about the same. 

If you have one that "nearly" fits,  and its a hard leather,  wrap your gun in thin plastic like comes from cleaners,  soak holster for few mins in warm water and form the leather around the gun,  leaving it in till it drys.  I did that once and it worked pretty well,  but in my case the holster was too tight so it only required stretching.

pfm41

Waltsblues: Does the tension screw provide good retention with the Desantis MiniScabbard for a LC9 / R51 combo?  I received a Talon OWB for the R51 w/CT laser today in the mail.  It seems to be too loose; the thumb break is not snug enough to draw it tight around the rear of the slide.  I would have rather had it too tight so that I could fit it like a glove.  The loose thumb break adds significant width to the rear of the slide.  I may go the Desantis route.

lklawson

Quote from: Swschu on January 13, 2019, 09:51:13 AM
For a close defense pistol I would forego the laser completely and practice instintive point and shoot.....with both hands....no, not together..one handed, left and right. The ergonomics of the R51 are designed for rhat style of shooting.
Turns out that a laser works better and is kinda an evolution of the Threat Focused/Target Focused shooting, particularly for shooters who can't practice much:

http://blog.krtraining.com/red-dot-study-key-points/

Apparently during a Target Focused shooting event the shooter focuses on the threat and immediately pulls the trigger once it's anywhere on the threat and more often scores a quicker "first hit."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

pfm41

I received the DeSantis MiniScabbard for a Ruger LC9 w/Crimson Trace LG412 a few days ago.  The initial fit was OK but it did not fit the features of the R51 so the retention was not what it should be.  I wet it and worked the leather into the features and then dried it overnight above a baseboard heater.  The result was a very nice fit and plenty of retention.  The LC9 is larger than the R51 from the trigger guard to top of slide so I punched a new hole for the tension screw.  This prevented the movement at the mouth of the holster and also provides retention adjustability.   My leather working skills are on the amateur level so it may not have the lines of a custom holster but it works. The photos show the before and after.

ulflyer

You did a great job and the leather came out looking good too.  I did this once for another gun and where I stretched the leather it came out looking dull.  Works fine tho.

waltsblues

Thanks for the follow up. I may give this a try.
You  said you punched a new hole for the tension screw, looks like you moved it up a bit and the other hole is still covered as not to see. I will look into that.
Birddogs, Home grown tomatoes and the Blues. To me it don't get much better than that!

pfm41

Yes, I punched the new hole above (toward the trigger guard) and slightly toward the opening.  I made sure that the two holes are not joined. One of the legs the nut now goes through the old hole and the washer just covers it.  Molding the leather to the gun is the biggest improvement but moving the screw stabilizes the gun and allows the retention to be adjustable.

Sirrus Rider