• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Magazine follower legs

Started by pfm41, December 01, 2018, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pfm41

When my magazines are loaded with seven rounds there is very little room for the top round to be pushed down when seated with the slide closed.  The slide can't be easily racked and I can't see how cycling would be reliable if loaded 7+1.  I've seen several comments about shortening the follower legs; is this situation the reason for altering the follower?

R51Fan2017

Yes sir. The problem is that the legs on the follower are too long, therefore not allowing the follower to travel to the full down position. Because the follower won't go as far down as it should, in turn, the cartridges don't go down far enough either causing clearance issues when racking the slide on a full magazine. Sorry for the oversimplified explanation. I just can't think of another way to put it this time of night. So the only option for now is simply to shorten the legs. I believe taking 1/16" off is usually sufficient. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. 
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

pfm41

I removed about 1/16" from the followers everything seems right.  Full magazines insert easily and the slide racks like it should.

R51Fan2017

Glad to hear your up and running!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder