• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Visual differences between 1st & 2nd Gen?

Started by Katieboots, October 04, 2018, 09:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katieboots

Hi,

So I'm going to be purchasing an R51 but before I take the plunge I was wondering what, if any, visual differences or differentiation there are between the 1st & 2nd Gen. pistols?  I may buy NIB but if a used one were to be found that'd be quite all right as well......as long as it's not a 1st Gen.

Any help the members might provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Katelynne

R51Fan2017

Katelynne,

If you look at the R51 at the top of the forum page with the silencer on it, it is a Gen1. You can tell by the placement of the R51 logo. Gen2s have it closer to the ejection port. Other than that, there are really no external differences that can be noticed. However, all the new Gen2s are made in Huntsville, AL instead of Charlotte, NC. The early Gen2s utilized Charlotte frames. I started a thread a long time ago trying to determine by serial numbers when Gen2 production started. Problem is, there is really no definite point that can be determined by serial numbers when they started making them as they took usable Gen 1 frames and rebuilt Gen 2 pistols around them when they first started back.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

nhithaca

My gun (see my other post for serial # range) has Remington Arms Co.  Huntsville, AL       R51 all in a line starting almost to the far back of the frame in a single row.  Serial # is to the right and below.  The hash box (I hate these) is directly above the grip screw.
FYI

DryrotUK1985

my r51 is a replacement for a gen 1 . has a Charlotte stamp on the frame. the issue i have is with the gen 1 mags. used judicious bending of the front lips and still have a ftf with 7 rounds loaded. the 4 gen 2 mags i have show no issues. stopped using the gen 1 mags and have 600 rounds through it with just the gen 2. no problems. now if i can just keep my thumb out of the way with a 2 hand hold.......