• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Trigger work

Started by Rog54, October 03, 2018, 07:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rog54

Hi folks!
Any of you torn into the trigger?  I am still reluctant to disassemble that deep.  I've done Glock and Springfield XD's.
If so is there anything we can do to improve on it?  In particular that bump at the end of the pull?
Rog
Rog

R51Fan2017

Hello Rog. I have not delved that deep into mine yet. The trigger has actually gotten better after putting more rounds through it. I think shooting it has helped greatly. However, I still secretly wish there was a built in trigger adjustment screw.  I think a little polishing may really smooth one out nicely though!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

funflyer

I'm with Sean, more shooting will smooth things out and even lighten the pull some. Mine started life with a 5-1/2 pound pull and, after more than a thousand rounds, has settled in at a tad over 5. I think that "bump" you're feeling at the break is the nose of the sear dragging slightly as it releases from the hammer. Below is a picture of a new sear. Take a look at the nose of the sear (red arrow) and you'll see that it's rough. I suppose the break-in process could be expedited by polishing the sear and hammer contact points but, range time and dry-firing will accomplish the same.

Rog54

Thanks guys. I am an avid dry firer.  I firmly believe it is one of the best accuracy exercises one can do.  As well as assist in that "break in"
Rog
Rog

Engineerpower

I'll be releasing a metal trigger soon, should help out a bit. Disassembly is easy, just need to drift out a couple of pins.
Cameron Husk
Dir, Engineering - DangerCo, LLC

"Therefore, worry not for the morrow; the morrow shall worry for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -Matthew 6:34

GerryR

What is the price point of your trigger going to be, and is it steel or aluminum?  Thank you.
Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment!

Engineerpower

First version will be a basic, anodized aluminum non-adjustable, pricepoint around $40.

Planning an adjustable version after that, probably around $50.
Cameron Husk

"Therefore, worry not for the morrow; the morrow shall worry for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -Matthew 6:34

lklawson

Quote from: Engineerpower on January 21, 2019, 10:41:44 AM
I'll be releasing a metal trigger soon, should help out a bit. Disassembly is easy, just need to drift out a couple of pins.
Youtube vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwOgYMJtFnk

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Engineerpower

Thanks, Kirk, I LOVE that video  ;D
Cameron Husk

fknipfer1

I would love a metal trigger but I am not the most mechanical adept person around.  I also have another theory on the magazine feed failures. Until the pistol is broken in the bottom of the bolt is rough enough to push the first bullet nose down in the magazine.  I am going to fire at least 300 rounds thru mine but pulling the catch back on a seven round magazine and the catch forward and have it drive bullet number seven forward.  I have done this for 100 rounds and have not had a failure to feed at all.  Anyway that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.  This is a different type of gun and needs to handled different ways.

fknipfer1

ulflyer

Quote from: fknipfer1 on February 17, 2019, 03:23:58 AM
I would love a metal trigger but I am not the most mechanical adept person around.  I also have another theory on the magazine feed failures. Until the pistol is broken in the bottom of the bolt is rough enough to push the first bullet nose down in the magazine.  I am going to fire at least 300 rounds thru mine but pulling the catch back on a seven round magazine and the catch forward and have it drive bullet number seven forward.  I have done this for 100 rounds and have not had a failure to feed at all.  Anyway that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.  This is a different type of gun and needs to handled different ways.

fknipfer1

Several folks have reported Remington polishing the front edge of the bolt after they had sent it back.  Might be worth you giving it a try next time you have it apart for cleaning.

Engineerpower

Quote from: fknipfer1 on February 17, 2019, 03:23:58 AM
I also have another theory on the magazine feed failures. Until the pistol is broken in the bottom of the bolt is rough enough to push the first bullet nose down in the magazine.

Hmm, interesting. Can you walk me through what you're thinking here? I think I'm getting what you're putting out...
Cameron Husk

fknipfer1

When I load 7bullets in  magazine and use the receiver catch  and release it so there are only six bullets in magazine the spring pressure goes less on the bottom of the bolt.  So far I have never had a failure to feed or eject when I do this.  When you have a round in the chamber no. 8 and you fire it the pressure of the ejection going across the magazine is almost to much and it pushes the round up against the bolt and drags.  If you polish the bottom of the bolt it may stop the rubbing or with enough rounds ran thru the magazine the spring may weaken and  allow 8 rounds instead of 7.

fknipfer1