• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Any range updates?

Started by Zenshot, September 07, 2018, 08:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenshot

Has been quiet here. Anyone been shooting their R51 lately? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
-David

lklawson

I was doing Up Drills weekend before last.

Shot 115gr Remington brand FMJ from a bucket o' bullets.  Worked just fine but I still tend to pull low. 

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Zenshot

Does it shoot low from a rest or is it something in the ergonomics that result in low hits?
-David

R51Fan2017

Fraid not. Been way too busy lately. The weather has been too hot as well, and when it isn't hot, the precipitation isn't conducive to shooting. Life will slow down here in the next few weeks and the weather should hopefully be better as well.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

lklawson

Quote from: Zenshot on September 07, 2018, 04:57:13 PM
Does it shoot low from a rest or is it something in the ergonomics that result in low hits?
It's the sights.  They are "Combat Center Hold."  When you have a proper sight alignment, the bullet goes right in the middle of the front sight spot.  For most of us, we are used to either Bullseye sight picture or divided front post sight picture.  Those will send the shots low.  A bullseye sight picture will send the shots to 6 o'clock below in the 8 ring depending on your distance and target.

Basically, it's a training issue.

I tend to hit better (at close-ish range) using instinctive shooting with the R51.  It points very naturally.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

DUTCH Van Atlanta

I use the Crimson Trace sight, and have found that different loads hit the target in different places.  If I set the sight using 115 grain ammo, they hit dead center in the red dot at 10 yards.  If I switch to 147 grain ammo without adjusting the red dot, it always shoots low.  P vs +P also makes a difference.
"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

Zenshot

Ran another 100 rounds through it with the new mags and no issues. Good to go.
-David

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Zenshot on September 13, 2018, 08:58:42 AM
Ran another 100 rounds through it with the new mags and no issues. Good to go.

Glad your new mags are working for you without modifications. Maybe Remington has them worked out once and for all.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

russc2542

Quote from: DUTCH Van Atlanta on September 10, 2018, 06:57:33 PM
I use the Crimson Trace sight, and have found that different loads hit the target in different places.  If I set the sight using 115 grain ammo, they hit dead center in the red dot at 10 yards.  If I switch to 147 grain ammo without adjusting the red dot, it always shoots low.  P vs +P also makes a difference.

Sounds normal to me. different loads have different POI on most guns. If you ever want a good watch, look up vids of barrel whip in rifles in slo-mo. the physics are the same in pistols but with different values in the variables.

Rog54

I was out with grandson about three weeks ago with both my 51's, (gray and black).  Went thru about 300 rounds between the two.  One nose dive.  One thing I have been doing is to give the freshly loaded magazine a couple flat raps on its back to insure all rounds are riding up the back.  I have seen the first round settle into a "more" proper angle after doing this exercise.   
Rog

Rog54

Kirk,
I couldn't agree more, at least for me that the R51 points so naturally.  I do a fair amount of dry firing.  With the weapon in my "work area" as they refer to it, close in and up, I cock then push straight out towards my target starting of course with my trigger finger in the safe position and wow!  It is almost automatic, on target near perfect.  Some is probably the practice but I do think a lot is the ergonomics of this gun as it relates to me anyway.
Rog
Rog

DUTCH Van Atlanta

Quote from: russc2542 on September 26, 2018, 02:45:43 PM
Quote from: DUTCH Van Atlanta on September 10, 2018, 06:57:33 PM

Sounds normal to me. different loads have different POI on most guns. If you ever want a good watch, look up vids of barrel whip in rifles in slo-mo. the physics are the same in pistols but with different values in the variables.

Normal perhaps, but even more so with this short barreled pistol.  My full sized 9mm's do not do it to the extent that the R51 does.
"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

funflyer

Going to get out tomorrow and test some of my first 9mm reloads. I separated all my Remington brass and am using that as it seems to feed smoother in all my pistols. I crimped these .0005" more than the factory rounds and they seem to plunk much better than any factory round. Might affect accuracy but we'll see tomorrow.

funflyer

Just back from the range, and it was a great day. The R51 ate up the reloads well, and as accurate as any factory ammo I've shot. Only one stovepipe. That was on a fully loaded mag with one in the chamber (7+1) and after the first shot. All in all I was pretty stoked at the accuracy of my first reloads.

First pic is the target out to 10 yards. Left group was 4.4 grain of HP38, wearing gloves. Right group (1.5"), no gloves and was shooting 4.8 grain of the same powder.

Second pic I was shooting my R1, off hand, at 10 yards. Yes, that's a .750" 5 shot group.