• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

A New Magazine Failure

Started by R51Fan2017, August 17, 2018, 03:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R51Fan2017

Hello All,

Just thought this needed to be posted. This was a new mag from Grab-A-Gun that I bought a while back, but just now started to break out and use. When I went to load it into the pistol this morning before heading out the door, I experienced a new problem that I have never before encountered. For whatever reason, with a fully loaded mag, I could not reciprocate the slide fully to the rear, and when I released the slide, it would not go fully forward into battery. No matter how hard I tried to pull it to the rear, it flat refused to go back further. I could get the slide to come fully forward, but not after giving it a forceful wack with the palm of my hand. So I tried to snap some pics one-handed so you can see what is happening. Very strange. Maybe the follower legs need to be trimmed??? This mag has NOT BEEN MODDED since purchase. So I re-loaded my good mag and headed out...frustrated. I wish to God somebody could get these mags straight!!!!  >:(
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

R51Fan2017

"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

R51Fan2017

- Larry Elder

funflyer

Better pull the spring and have a look. Maybe it got dorked up and is stacking under one side of the follower legs.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: funflyer on August 17, 2018, 10:37:52 PM
Better pull the spring and have a look. Maybe it got dorked up and is stacking under one side of the follower legs.

Thanks Todd! I did look, and the spring is not binding or dorked up in any way. However, I have reason to believe now, that the follower is not compressing down evenly in the mag housing. The further it goes down the cants ever so slightly forward. Meaning, nose down, tail high attitude. With the rear end of the cartridge high, it would be difficult at best to get the bolt (Perdersen Block) over the rim of the cartridge case causing a snag. Compounded by a tab bent inward too far, not allowing the nose of the bullet to sit evenly in the mag?????  But, the follower legs may be the root cause of this anyway, so I will trim the legs down later this weekend, and see if that will help. Also, note the nosedive issue in the last picture. I may need to bend the tab out a little, but if I can even get to the point of loading a round, I want to shoot it and see how it does without bending it. It may work, or it may not.

- Larry Elder