• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Remington 870

Started by funflyer, July 29, 2018, 06:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funflyer

Anyone else like to shoot clays? I can count on both hands the number of times I've shot a 12 gauge shotgun, but last week I got the bug when I was in Walmart. Just decided to get an 870, some clays, ammo and a target thrower. I was worried after I got home and read the reviews on the newer 870s having extraction and ejection problems but as it turned out, this least expensive model is a good one. Burned up 6 boxes of shells and twice as many clay pigeons and had a blast. Had so much fun my shoulder will need a week to recover. I can't believe I waited so long to try trap shooting.

R51Fan2017

Todd,

I used to be a BIG TIME clay shooter when I was younger. I placed in the top ten for 3 consecutive years at the state level when I was a kid in 4-H. But as time went on, I got busier, went to college, work, and so forth, it just took a backseat to everything else I have had come up. Then I got into collecting M1 Garands, WWII weapons, so shotguns went to the back of the safe, save one single barrel 20 gauge Winchester that I use on varmints around the house. You sure got a beautiful piece of Americana there my friend! My first trap and skeet gun was an 870. Got a bruised up shoulder first time out, but had so much fun, I forgot about the shoulder! The 1100 has been my "old reliable" since my 4-H days and has seen many thousands of rounds, has been babied (still looks like new), and keeps on plugging away!

Remington sure got the magic formula down for their shotguns!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

funflyer

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on July 29, 2018, 08:29:47 PM
Todd,

I used to be a BIG TIME clay shooter when I was younger. I placed in the top ten for 3 consecutive years at the state level when I was a kid in 4-H. But as time went on, I got busier, went to college, work, and so forth, it just took a backseat to everything else I have had come up. Then I got into collecting M1 Garands, WWII weapons, so shotguns went to the back of the safe, save one single barrel 20 gauge Winchester that I use on varmints around the house. You sure got a beautiful piece of Americana there my friend! My first trap and skeet gun was an 870. Got a bruised up shoulder first time out, but had so much fun, I forgot about the shoulder! The 1100 has been my "old reliable" since my 4-H days and has seen many thousands of rounds, has been babied (still looks like new), and keeps on plugging away!

Remington sure got the magic formula down for their shotguns!

Thanks Sean,

You ain't kidding about the sore shoulder. Just last night I ordered a recoil pad for it.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: funflyer on July 30, 2018, 09:22:16 AM
Thanks Sean,

You ain't kidding about the sore shoulder. Just last night I ordered a recoil pad for it.

Have you tried Remington's Super Cell pads? They turn an 870 from a kicking mule into a Cadillac.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

funflyer

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on July 30, 2018, 09:49:22 AM
Have you tried Remington's Super Cell pads? They turn an 870 from a kicking mule into a Cadillac.

I saw those but decided on a slip-on pad so I could increase the stock's length some. I ended up ordering a Pachmayr decelerator.