• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

R51 - Range test with additional magazine modifications

Started by Hrfunk, July 21, 2018, 06:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hrfunk

Well, they say the thrid time is a charm! I headed out to the range today for the thrid time with the R51, and I did a little more "on the range" gunsmithing. To see how it went, follow the link below!

Howard

https://youtu.be/L3UlG1lskoo

R51Fan2017

Howard,

You are one devoted man to be shooting in the rain. I would have packed up and gone inside! Also, right when you clipped the spring, and said if it would work or not, I blurted out "Yes!" and right on cue you said "NO!". Darn it! I would be so tempted to send  you mine with my mags for you to do a video with. I have 420 rounds in mine and not one flub up. She eats everything just fine....yes, even hollow points. All I can say is that at least you have one mag that works! Sorry to see it still hiccuping like that. Not trying to be nit picky about your grammar or anything, but when you said "send it back to Remington to fix the PISTOL (emphasis added)", my first thought is......the pistol obviously works. That one mag you have proves that. Unfortunately, you just keep getting stuck with FUBAR mags. My personal opinion is that it is a waste of time sending it back to Remington. I don't think they are capable of even fixing their own pistol. Sad isn't it? I have to laugh to keep from crying.  :'(  I'll take that smoke frame off your hands for $50!  ;D
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Hrfunk

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on July 22, 2018, 10:52:59 PM
Howard,

You are one devoted man to be shooting in the rain. I would have packed up and gone inside! Also, right when you clipped the spring, and said if it would work or not, I blurted out "Yes!" and right on cue you said "NO!". Darn it! I would be so tempted to send  you mine with my mags for you to do a video with. I have 420 rounds in mine and not one flub up. She eats everything just fine....yes, even hollow points. All I can say is that at least you have one mag that works! Sorry to see it still hiccuping like that. Not trying to be nit picky about your grammar or anything, but when you said "send it back to Remington to fix the PISTOL (emphasis added)", my first thought is......the pistol obviously works. That one mag you have proves that. Unfortunately, you just keep getting stuck with FUBAR mags. My personal opinion is that it is a waste of time sending it back to Remington. I don't think they are capable of even fixing their own pistol. Sad isn't it? I have to laugh to keep from crying.  :'(  I'll take that smoke frame off your hands for $50!  ;D

I'll keep that offer in mind! Actually I am getting the same malfunction with all of my magazines. If I run the pistol with 1-round in the chamber and 7-rounds in the magazine (i.e. 7+1) it malfunctions almost every time on the first shot. If I download it by 1 round (6+1) the malfunctions go away. As a carry pistol, I want to be able to use it with 7+1 rounds, I don't want to download it. I realize you are correct when you said the "pistol" is working. Still, the pistol and its magazines are a system, and they need to work together. If I send my R51 back to Remington, and all they do is sort through a pile of magazines to find two that work with my pistol, that is fine with me. I would prefer that to having them send me pair after pair that still don't work.

Howard

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Hrfunk on July 23, 2018, 08:07:34 AM
I'll keep that offer in mind! Actually I am getting the same malfunction with all of my magazines. If I run the pistol with 1-round in the chamber and 7-rounds in the magazine (i.e. 7+1) it malfunctions almost every time on the first shot. If I download it by 1 round (6+1) the malfunctions go away. As a carry pistol, I want to be able to use it with 7+1 rounds, I don't want to download it. I realize you are correct when you said the "pistol" is working. Still, the pistol and its magazines are a system, and they need to work together. If I send my R51 back to Remington, and all they do is sort through a pile of magazines to find two that work with my pistol, that is fine with me. I would prefer that to having them send me pair after pair that still don't work.

Howard

The magazines are the heart and soul of an automatic pistol. Also, I one hundred percent agree with you on capacity. What's the point of having a 7 round mag when you can only have 6 in it? I hope Big Green will get you fixed up this time. I can't believe there is such a difference in quality in comparison to the R1 and RM380 lines. You would figure since the 51 is a "heritage" pistol for them, they would have taken more pride and time in their work to make sure every aspect (especially the magazines for it) would be 100%. Best of luck to you!

Sean
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Hrfunk

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on July 23, 2018, 08:47:06 AM
Quote from: Hrfunk on July 23, 2018, 08:07:34 AM

Howard

The magazines are the heart and soul of an automatic pistol. Also, I one hundred percent agree with you on capacity. What's the point of having a 7 round mag when you can only have 6 in it? I hope Big Green will get you fixed up this time. I can't believe there is such a difference in quality in comparison to the R1 and RM380 lines. You would figure since the 51 is a "heritage" pistol for them, they would have taken more pride and time in their work to make sure every aspect (especially the magazines for it) would be 100%. Best of luck to you!

Sean

Thank you! As an FYI, I just got off the phone with Remington. They are springing for the shipping and even sending me the packaging to ship the R51 back to them in. The one thing I will say for them is that all three of the Customer Service Representative's I've spoken with have been friendly and helpful. At least that's one positive.

HRF

R51Fan2017

Howard,

I re-watched your video, and it just now clicked with me that I have never tried 7+1 before. I have always loaded a full mag, cycled the first round, and got down to work. Maybe that explains why I have never had a malfunction! If I try 7+1 this weekend, I think I may have problems. I will have to give it a try.

- Larry Elder

Hrfunk

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on August 16, 2018, 10:34:01 AM
Howard,

I re-watched your video, and it just now clicked with me that I have never tried 7+1 before. I have always loaded a full mag, cycled the first round, and got down to work. Maybe that explains why I have never had a malfunction! If I try 7+1 this weekend, I think I may have problems. I will have to give it a try.

Please let me know how it goes.

HRF

funflyer

Sean

Yep, and Remington even states 7+1 on their R51 page. Both my mags will feed 7+1 without fail but, only after trimming the bottom of the followers. One will still occasionally let go of, and stovepipe the last round. That mag has the widest (average)feed lips of the two, coincidence?

I looked at and measured all my other 9mm's, which are 100% reliable, and discovered something interesting. The R51 mags not only  have the widest feed lips, they have the shortest also. They're also the most inconsistent. Coincidence?

Howard, have you measured the feed lips of your most problematic mag? I'd sure like to know how wide the one is that lets loose of a live round during cycling. I watched your video again and did see the failure after you mentioned it. Here's a screen shot.

Hrfunk

Quote from: funflyer on August 16, 2018, 09:30:07 PM

Sean

Yep, and Remington even states 7+1 on their R51 page. Both my mags will feed 7+1 without fail but, only after trimming the bottom of the followers. One will still occasionally let go of, and stovepipe the last round. That mag has the widest (average)feed lips of the two, coincidence?

I looked at and measured all my other 9mm's, which are 100% reliable, and discovered something interesting. The R51 mags not only  have the widest feed lips, they have the shortest also. They're also the most inconsistent. Coincidence?

Howard, have you measured the feed lips of your most problematic mag? I'd sure like to know how wide the one is that lets loose of a live round during cycling. I watched your video again and did see the failure after you mentioned it. Here's a screen shot.

Yep. I tried to catch it with the slow-mo shot, but your photo shows it better.

Howard

armed citizen

I always load 6 in my mag and 1 in the pipe!  Why get rid of a great pistol over 1 damn round!  Mine has never jammed doing 6+1!
armed citizen

DryrotUK1985

600 rounds and had only one jam on round 6 in a gen 1 mag. my other 5 have no issues. i tweaked the feed lips an the follower stop in front and that fixed it. i only had 50 rounds total through the weapon at that time.