• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

ammunition

Started by hbschwartz, July 26, 2018, 09:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbschwartz

I am a new r51 gun owner. is there any defensive ammunition that has been found to be more ideal to use in this firearm.? thanks.

R51Fan2017

Welcome aboard!   :) Just for the record, I think Robert likes to see an intro post in the introductions forum before posting anywhere else. Anyway, I have used 147 gr. Federal Hydra-Shok ammo in mine, as well as Hornady Critical Defense with no problems. Unfortunately, these pistols seem to be on a case by case basis, so you may want to experiment with a few types yourself and see what you pistol likes. Cheers!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

plunkster

I carry mine with Ruger's ARX ammo. Works great in my R51.

Rog54

Welcome HB,

I have shot and keep my defense mags loaded with Hornady Critical Duty.  I would only caution that you run a healthy amount of standard ammo thru your 51 to ensure everything, (gun and mags), are functioning fine.  That way you won't write off some good ammo for the wrong reason.  I own two 51's but I have only tried the Hornady in my first one.  Just got my second a month ago and put 278 down range with one fail to eject.  Again, welcome to the forum.
Rog
Rog

Zenshot

I've had good experience with the Hornady American Gunner series. Any ammo with the Hornady XTP bullet seems to feed well.
-David

funflyer

Quote from: Zenshot on July 27, 2018, 06:28:03 AM
I've had good experience with the Hornady American Gunner series. Any ammo with the Hornady XTP bullet seems to feed well.

Hornady AG functioned well in mine also, no issues.