• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

My Introduction

Started by Road Rat, June 26, 2018, 01:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Rat

Since Robert demanded an entry here I'll put my first post here!!!

I am an old man; retired from the US Air Force back in 1977.  Worked for an Air Force contractor for another 23 years and then quit altogether in early 2000.

I have been a shooting and sometime hunter since about 1960. 

I own a bunch of firearms from .17 HMR to .30-06 in rifles; .22 lr to .45 ACP in handguns; and a few 20 and 12 gauge shotguns.

I don't get to shoot nearly as much as I would like.  Too much to do around the place.

I bought a R51 last winter because it got so inexpensive/cheap I couldn't pass it up.

Finally got out a few days ago and everything performed just find.  BUT, mine also has the old THE POI IS ABOUT SIX INCHES LOW AT 10 YARDS.  Can't believe Remington didn't pay attention to this defect from the beginning.  Now, I have to find an after market front sight to fix that boo boo. 

REMINGTON - PAY ATTENTION - I know you can afford to do that!!

funflyer

Welcome aboard Rat. I too did a few years in the USAF, retired in 2014.

crosstrains

Welcome, Road Rat. 

There could very well be something wrong with the sights, but mine was just an adjustment from "target sights" to "combat sights."  You probably know what that is, but I didn't when I got my R51.  When I cover my target with the front dot, it's spot on, pun intended.  That's at 7-10 yards.  Apparently, that's the kind of shooting I'm inclined to, because this is the most accurate pistol I own.  I just point and shoot and get pretty close every time.  It's intuitive, and I think several others will agree.

R51Fan2017

Welcome Rat! Glad to have you with us! Same story here with POI. Oh well, if that is all we have to complain about, I guess we got away pretty lucky, especially with a gun that has a reputation for being "unreliable". Thank you sir for your service!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

lklawson

Quote from: Road Rat on June 26, 2018, 01:05:06 PM
Since Robert demanded an entry here I'll put my first post here!!!

I am an old man; retired from the US Air Force back in 1977.  Worked for an Air Force contractor for another 23 years and then quit altogether in early 2000.

I have been a shooting and sometime hunter since about 1960. 

I own a bunch of firearms from .17 HMR to .30-06 in rifles; .22 lr to .45 ACP in handguns; and a few 20 and 12 gauge shotguns.

I don't get to shoot nearly as much as I would like.  Too much to do around the place.

I bought a R51 last winter because it got so inexpensive/cheap I couldn't pass it up.

Finally got out a few days ago and everything performed just find.  BUT, mine also has the old THE POI IS ABOUT SIX INCHES LOW AT 10 YARDS.  Can't believe Remington didn't pay attention to this defect from the beginning.  Now, I have to find an after market front sight to fix that boo boo. 

REMINGTON - PAY ATTENTION - I know you can afford to do that!!
Like Crosstrains says, it may be the method you're using for sighting.  I had exactly the same problem with my 1911R1.  Turns out that it is dead on if I use "combat hold" instead of "target hold" or "6 o'clock hold."

Line up the spots and the POI should be in the exact center of the front spot.

Use the bottom pic for the proper sight picture on Remington handguns:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

plunkster

Welcome! Kinda cool that you retired from the AF the same year I joined! I retired in '98 and just retired from my second career as a university professor. The R51 is really designed as a "both eyes open" pistol with the combat center hold as discussed above. BTW, I've had VERY few problems with mine - it's not my primary carry pistol (I carry a Kahr CM9 or Seecamp), but I have carried it and trust it. There are a lot of bad reviews "out there", but many of us find it to be a reliable, accurate, and (obviously) cool-looking pistol!