• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

R51 Gen 1

Started by Indyman, June 23, 2018, 04:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebvox

I just picked up a pre-recall Gen 1 pretty cheap.  Hoping it will be a collector's item some day.  It has been interesting comparing the new with the old.  The Gen 2 slide action is so much smoother than the Gen 1.  I updated the differences earlier in this thread.
- Erik

mr220v

I thought about getting that one.  Maybe next time.

I would check for the trenches dug down the top of locking shelf. My original r51 did that.  Didn't seem like they properly clearanced the breach block to the slide or the frame.  Removing material might make the gun more useable.

springfield art

Wow. Just when I thought this site was dying...great information, thank you!

sebvox

@mr220v- when I examined the two slides side by side, I observed the opposite of what you are describing.  I was hoping it would be as easy as removing some material to make it function smoother.  It appears that the pocket in the slide that the hump of the breach block sits in has too much material already removed.  Some of the other internal lugs are chamfered in the Gen 1.  Again, too much material removed.  But I will look at it again to see if it can be fixed somehow.  I believe this is why the engineers came back with a completely new slide for the Gen 2.
- Erik

mr220v

I guess they were just indifferent to the clearance.  Too tight, too loose, they just dropped the block in and shipped.  Each block needed to be hand fitted to the gun, and that probably would have fixed things.

springfield art

I'm just glad I bought a 2nd Gen, not knowing anything about the recall, etc. Again, lots of good info on this site. Good luck!

sebvox

There is another low serial number (0001989R51) Gen 1 R51 for sale on gunbroker again if anyone is interested.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/919511661

12/30/21 - Sorry, I had the wrong link earlier but it's fixed now.
- Erik

R51Fan2017

What a find! Especially since the majority were recalled.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder