• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Another source for cheap magazines.

Started by Seeleenickel, June 06, 2018, 12:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seeleenickel

There's a fellow on Ebay selling R-51 mags for $9.99 including shipping.  He lists them as "used" but listing also says "More than 10 available".  I am not affiliated with the seller in any way but noticed the listing today.  I bought a couple.  Seller has 100% positive feedback.  I noticed the seller is in "Guntersville, Alabama", and Google says that's only 37 miles from Huntsville.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-R51-9mm-Magazine/292587520181?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Ebay is also running a 20% off discount code today " PICKDADSGIFT " on Ebay purchases over $50, so I combined with some other stuff I had in my "watch list" and got the discount..but the code expires at 7PM pacific time today...6/6/18.

Seeleenickel

Received my R-51 magazine today.  I thought I'd ordered two, but apparently I wasn't paying attention and only ordered one.  It arrived in perfect shape, and though the seller lists them as "used", it looks like new to me.

Since I just pulled it out of the envelope, I haven't had a chance to try it yet.  I did notice a couple of subtle differences from the ones that came with my pistol.  This "new to me" magazine is marked "Remington", with the "R" on the floorplate, and I'll try to post a couple of pics to show the differences...maybe these are generation one mags?  I don't know.  The major difference is that the ones that came with my pistol have a pronounced "ridge" in the middle of the follower in the magazine, while the "new" to me one does not have that ridge. The follower is flat.  The only other difference is the floor plate on the ones that came with my pistol are thicker, while the one on the magazine I received is a bit thinner.  I do not know if any of this will affect function, but if it does, I'll certainly let everyone know.

Has anyone else seen these types of differences between R-51 magazines?

shinerjohn

The one you just received (with flat follower and thin floor plate) is a gen 1 mag.

Seeleenickel

Thank you for confirming that.

Now I guess the next question would be....Am I going to have problems with it?   ;) ;D

I've only had experience with the two magazines that came with my generation 2 pistol, and they work flawlessly. 

I didn't have any trouble stuffing the whole 7 rounds into this new one, and the rounds fed through the pistol manually with no trouble. Guess I'll take it out to the range tomorrow and see what I've got before I order another one!

DryrotUK1985

Be prepared to bend some metal. Let us know.

R51Fan2017

Seeleenickel,

I have noticed a difference in the ridge height in the follower on the new mag I got from Grab a Gun several weeks back. However, I didn't take the floor plate off and notice the plate thickness. I just looked at the spring. But like yours, mine functions flawlessly bone stock with no mods. So, for right now, I have two mags that came with the gun, (both had to be modded), then I got 2 freebies from Remington (had to mod them), then two more from Grab a Gun (both of which function fine out of the box). Grand total, 6 mags and only 2 didn't need anything. Just take it to the range and see what happens. If it manual cycles rounds with no hitches, you should be fine! Happy shooting!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Seeleenickel

I finally got the chance to fire the "new" generation 1 magazine I'd picked up off Ebay.

After firing the first round, the next two rounds failed to feed.  Didn't "jam" per se..there was no "nose dive" or "stove pipe" or anything like that.  The slide merely "stuck" open, with the round just sitting there pointing straight at the chamber.  At that point, I admit I thought it was going to be $10 wasted on something that was going to end up as another project as I tried to figure out how to make the magazine work.

Then, the last few rounds fed and fired just fine.  Still thinking I was going to have to "fiddle" with it, I reloaded.  Out of the second magazine full, one round caused the slide to stick open.  I don't remember exactly which one, but it was in the latter half of the magazine..maybe fourth or fifth round.  Better, but still not good.

Reloaded a third time...fired..and all rounds cycled perfectly.  After that, I reloaded and fired a few more magazines full with no issues.  Even tried one magazine full firing as fast as I could.  I don't know that I'm ready to stake my life on that magazine just yet, since both of the original 2nd generation magazines that came with the gun work flawlessly, but I was encouraged that after minimal "break in", the magazine improved greatly and seemed to be working well.

crosstrains

Cheap magazines are back. I just ordered another 2 magazines from Grab A Gun for $14.59 each.  I had great luck with the last 2 from Grab A Gun - much more reliable than the ones that came my R51 and the replacements that Remington sent.  I was getting tired of tinkering with those, so I ordered the additional ones hoping they're as reliable out of the box as the others.

FlatEarther

As of a few days ago, Grabagun has the the R51 black for $233... Smoke grey for $303.
This may become the best way to buy mags if the price trend continues  :)  ... Joe