• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

More Mag Adventures

Started by Zenshot, May 29, 2018, 09:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenshot

Hello all!  Been a while since I posted a report, but a couple of things happened today that are worth mentioning, both of which I attribute to a stiff mag spring.  Both occurred on the first shot when I loaded a full 7 + 1.  First, I had a failure to extract on the first shot.  The brass looked ok but just didn't make it out of the chamber. I have a lot of rounds through my R51 but that hasn't happened before.

The second malfunction actually happened twice, each with a different mag. After  the first shot the empty brass ejected but also the next round in the mag also flew out of the gun. I would guess that the mag spring pushed up on the round enough to make it slip through the feed lips.  The metal used in the mags is a bit on the flimsy side. 

I continued shooting another 75 rounds, but only loaded six in the mags instead of seven. No issues with 6 + 1.   No nosedives with hollow points or any more live rounds flying out.  None of my mags have been modified.
I think that when I carry, I'll just keep 6 + 1 to reduce the chance of a malfunction.
-David

R51Fan2017

Zen,

Did you try bending the feed lips in just a tad? I found that helped me when mine spit out the rounds like that. The tension on the spring is pushing so hard, if those lips flex outward just enough, it could cause it to start ejecting rounds like that.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

tdbru

besides the mags that came with my R51 (gen 2 mags), i picked up some more from brownells.  they came in  the remington blister packs.  they were gen2 mags.  as posted by previous contributors, i filled the magazines and emptied them several times before putting them into service.  if i make sure that the mag is fully seated, i have no issues.  sometimes i push the mag in and hear a click and think the mag is fully seated but in actuality it wasn't.  so now i try to have a finger or a thumb on the mag release button lightly as i push the magazine home.  once i feel the mag release button pop or snap i know the mag is latched and then i have had no issues with the magazines.  they simply function.
-tdbru 

Zenshot

I'll try bending the feed lips in slightly. I am hoping that maybe a third party like ProMag will offer an improved mag at some point.

Tdbru - I have noticed that you really have to make sure the mag is seated all the way. It can feel like it clicks into place but is still not fully seated. 

I still really like the R51. I am more accurate with it than my other semiautos.
-David

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Zenshot on May 30, 2018, 07:00:14 AM
I am hoping that maybe a third party like ProMag will offer an improved mag at some point.

No joy. I checked with them and Mec-Gar both. Same story both places. At least for now, no magazines will be forthcoming from them......I hope they change their minds. Time will tell.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

crosstrains

Quote from: Zenshot on May 30, 2018, 07:00:14 AM
I still really like the R51. I am more accurate with it than my other semiautos.

I agree, Zenshot.  Despite the magazine issues, this pistol is amazingly accurate for me.  I like the combat sights, but more than that, it just hits where I point it.  The aim is intuitive for me.  Makes me keep working on these magazines to get them working just right. 

R51Fan2017

Quote from: crosstrains on May 30, 2018, 06:01:04 PM
it just hits where I point it.  The aim is intuitive for me.

John Pedersen beat you to the punchline. Take a look at this old Model 51 box, and the advantages they mention. It mentions the self-aiming aspect on the top right.

- Larry Elder

crosstrains

Nice!  Still holds true.  Pun intended.