• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Great site

Started by Flyhatcher, January 30, 2016, 07:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyhatcher

I'm glad to finally found a site regarding all things R51. I bought my R51 shortly after it was released and have almost daily concealed carried it since. I regularly take it to the range and have never had any malfunctions. I have found it to be reliable and accurate. I started searching for other shooters to discuss wear/scrape marks on the action spring bushing to see if it's unusual or normal. I didn't realize the gun had been recalled.

Is this safe to continue using?  Is there anyone still actively shooting this model?

Robert

Quote from: Flyhatcher on January 30, 2016, 07:53:28 AM
I'm glad to finally found a site regarding all things R51. I bought my R51 shortly after it was released and have almost daily concealed carried it since. I regularly take it to the range and have never had any malfunctions. I have found it to be reliable and accurate. I started searching for other shooters to discuss wear/scrape marks on the action spring bushing to see if it's unusual or normal. I didn't realize the gun had been recalled.

Is this safe to continue using?  Is there anyone still actively shooting this model?

Hello and thanks for signing up.

Nice to hear you have a original reliable R51 pistol. It may end up in fact being a collectors item but I would only "collect" a new un-fired R51. If you have been using it regularly I would just contenue to do so and not start to consider it a collector item and thus stop using it due to this.

This is non professional advice: I see nothing wrong with continuing to use your pistol if it seems to be functioning properly but I am not a gun smith and not a professional in any regard so your decision regarding this must be your own.

If you have a local gun smith you may wish to consult him but be advised he does not make any $$ from consulting, only from doing work on your gun so keep that in mind if he jumps to the conclusion he must perform work on your pistol.

Thanks
Robert

Fintan

Welcome!

Truth told the R51 was never actually "recalled" this is a PR move on Remington's part but it comes more from the design of the gun itself not being "unsafe" but rather that certain guns once assembled did not behave as expected.

If your gun is running and shooting well, consider yourself lucky for having received one of the good ones and keep shooting it.

As for the action spring bushing getting scratched during use, this is totally normal. So much so that later guns actually shipped with a small insert that pointed this out as a possibility as well as calling special attention to the proper method with which to reinstall the slide stop.

Hopefully it's something they fix with the relaunch of the gun, those scrapped up bushings never looked good to me.