• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

point of impact shift with trijicon night sight set???

Started by tdbru, May 15, 2018, 06:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdbru

if anyone has installed the trijicon sight set, did you observe a POI shift with the new sights?  if so, which way?
thanks,
Brian

Engineerpower

I think Trijicon may publish the sight heights for their various models? Windage, of course, is adjustable, so you should be able to just check the height difference to see the change in POI.
Cameron Husk
Dir, Engineering - DangerCo, LLC

"Therefore, worry not for the morrow; the morrow shall worry for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -Matthew 6:34

koop

speaking of sights, and sorry if this is a hijack, but does anyone know what size the nuts on the front and rear sights are?  I've tried both metric and standard and neither catch.

TIA

Pat Riot

I thought I responded to this yesterday but...

Anyway, if they are the sights that Remington sells on their sight it may be that the point of aim will be the same as factory.
I bought the Remington fiber optic sights and the point of aim is still 4" low at 7 yards, which is what I saw with stock sights.
The good news is I was able to tighten my groups with the new sights.

tdbru

this from Remington:

Remington Support
Service Ticket Response

Good morning,

The front sight will be a 1/16" Allen head size and the rear sight is a 5/64" Allen head size

and i did confirm those sizes of allen wrenches seem to fit my R51 sights.  the rear seems to have a bit more play than the front, so perhaps my 5/64" allen wrench might be just a wee tad undersize?  but i'm sure it will work.

i could also fit a 2mm(?) metric allen wrench in the rear sight set screw.  and it seems to fit a tiny bit tighter than the 5/64".
tdbru

Engineerpower

Quote from: Pat Riot on May 18, 2018, 11:00:45 AM

Anyway, if they are the sights that Remington sells on their sight it may be that the point of aim will be the same as factory.
I bought the Remington fiber optic sights and the point of aim is still 4" low at 7 yards, which is what I saw with stock sights.

Hrm, that's not good. Much easier to lower POI than to raise it. If you don't mind losing the R51 aesthetics on the rear sight, you could install a higher rear sight from another pistol (maybe a CZ) or find a really low front sight (big dot maybe, or again a CZ).

Is low POI a common issue? Higher rear sight could be another good aftermarket product.
Cameron Husk
Dir, Engineering - DangerCo, LLC

"Therefore, worry not for the morrow; the morrow shall worry for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -Matthew 6:34

Pat Riot

Quote from: Engineerpower on May 20, 2018, 08:27:06 AM

Hrm, that's not good. Much easier to lower POI than to raise it. If you don't mind losing the R51 aesthetics on the rear sight, you could install a higher rear sight from another pistol (maybe a CZ) or find a really low front sight (big dot maybe, or again a CZ).

Is low POI a common issue? Higher rear sight could be another good aftermarket product.

Well, it seems to be this way with a couple of other folks I know that have R51's. They hit low. I kind of thought new sights would fix this but it did not. The gun groups great so the elevation issues don't really bother me. I will not be using it in competitions.

lklawson

Quote from: Pat Riot on May 21, 2018, 10:10:21 AM
Quote from: Engineerpower on May 20, 2018, 08:27:06 AM

Well, it seems to be this way with a couple of other folks I know that have R51's. They hit low. I kind of thought new sights would fix this but it did not. The gun groups great so the elevation issues don't really bother me. I will not be using it in competitions.
Remington sets their sites at what is sometimes referred to as "Combat Center Hold."  If you're used to the classic "Bullseye Hold" or "6 o'clock" hold, then the POI will be low every time.

In "combat center hold," the POI is supposed to be the spot on the front sight, not the top edge or the bull above the top edge.

This is such a common complaint that it should be part of a FAQ or something.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

T3

Guys,
I purchased the set and only installed the front sight, which was much better for me.  Conman37 has posted a picture of his modification on the remingtonowners.com website.  It looks like it was a lot of work, but he did a great job.
Over 800 rounds and no complaints,
T3

R51Fan2017

Mine hits at least a good 7 inches low. And I know it isn't me because I was using a bench to steady my aim and act as a support, so I know I wasn't just shooting all over the map. Strange. I guess QC was just testing for functionality. They obviously haven't noticed our guns aren't exactly  "on target".  I think I will get another pair of sights and experiment with those instead of messing up my factory sights.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

funflyer

Quote from: T3 on June 27, 2018, 02:17:26 PM
Guys,
I purchased the set and only installed the front sight, which was much better for me.  Conman37 has posted a picture of his modification on the remingtonowners.com website.  It looks like it was a lot of work, but he did a great job.
Over 800 rounds and no complaints,
T3

The Trijicon front sight is .171" tall, and the rear is .232". Stock R51 sights are .180", front and rear. Using both front, and rear, Trijicon sights might send the POI to the moon