• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

my R51, so far...

Started by tdbru, May 12, 2018, 10:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdbru

MR220V is right.   with the R51's light weight and short sight radius, and the relatively heavy trigger pull, one really has to focus on the front sight as you shoot.

i tried shooting at 25 yards but to get the impact anywhere close to center of the target, i had to cover so much of the target that it disappeared and i lost all sighting reference.  i didn't shoot very well. 

i don't like these "combat" sights at all.  i'm going to look for a shorter front sight.

as Col. Whelen said, " only accurate rifles are interesting".  well that applies to pistols too.  and these sights make accurate aiming, for me, impossible.  when you can't see your target in relation to the sights, you have nothing to aim at.

otherwise, another box of ammo today at 25 yards.  mix of 115 and 124.  no issues with functionality.
tdbru

Seeleenickel

I wonder if there is much of a variance in the trigger pull between pistols?  I thought mine (Generation 2-Huntsville) was pretty light and crisp right out of the box, and a couple gun-savvy folks whom have also shot my pistol commented that they thought the trigger was pretty decent for a production gun.  I don't know anyone else who owns one locally so I have nothing to compare to.

Has anyone done any trigger work successfully?   

R51Fan2017

Quote from: sawatis on June 01, 2018, 07:56:41 PM
Yeah...not a fan of the plastic trigger....I swear I feel a flex in it when slow firing.. Anyone heard anything about a aluminum aftermarket trigger for this pistol.
John

Engineerpower on here is planning on making one. If I remember right, he is in the CAD stage right now. This fall it will move to the CAM stage and production. I don't know exactly what time this fall, but it should be this fall though. I can't wait myself!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

sawatis

Excellent!!  Will be watching for it...was thinking of fabricating a prototype myself, but will hold off...I saw his threaded barrels on here...looks interesting.
Thanks
John

Rog54

Hi Guys,
A while back I posted that I was ordering my second R-51...a grey one!  Got it from Grab-a-gun.  Finally got out to the range last Saturday.  Took the two mags from my 1st 51 and of course the two from the new one.  On the eighth round I had a fail to eject with the slide moving back into battery.  Slide was jammed and would not open it initially.  Continued to work it back and forth the quarter inch or less that it would move.  Then finally it opened.  I continued my session to the tune of 278 rounds without further issue.  Only one of my original mags had the follower legs shortened.  So bottom line I am very pleased with both of these guns after hearing many stories of failures.  I have been very fortunate.  Both are very accurate and a pleasure to shoot.  The only thing I did after bringing it home was to clean/lube and mirror polish the feed ramp, and a ton of dry firing.  Oh yes,  the first 28 rounds were factory, the remaining 250 were my reloads.  Also, I think it was Blackie who said it was designed to, I think he called it "military load".
Insert mag with slide already back.  I operated this way again without issue.  I do like this pistol for the reasons the writers in the previous posts have said.  Can't believe I'm thinking of another one for one or more of my kids or son-in-laws!
I also can't wait for Engineers trigger and about ready to order one of his barrels.
Rog

Pat Riot

The trigger on my Charlotte gun is a very nice single action pull. Trouble is after shooting my RM380 and my Glock I have to consciously pay attention to the trigger on the R51 or I get a "Surprise".  :D

I haven't experienced any trigger flex issues or anything like that.