• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Magazine Drop

Started by Indyman, April 25, 2018, 06:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indyman

Occasionally the magazine will drop out of the gun immediately after firing a round. This happens often enough that I have made a habit of making sure the magazine is fully seated before shooting, so it is not the result of failing to fully inserting the magazine. Anyone else having this problem?

R51Fan2017

I do remember there is a video on youtube with the man doing the review having the same problem you are. That was with a Gen 1 pistol. Have you made sure you aren't touching the mag release button when you are shooting? I have made the same mistake before. Other than that, the only other explanation I can think of is that the force of the recoil is simply knocking the mag catch loose somehow?
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Indyman

Lately I have been taking great pains to make sure I'm not pressing the mag release, but it still occasionally happens.

R51Fan2017

I would double check and make sure you are hearing a firm click when you seat the magazine. I know that seems stupid, but I am just trying to check some boxes off the list. Is it happening on any round in particular, or just on random rounds??
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Indyman

I haven't noticed it happening at any particular time ... it seems random. And yes, I always make sure the magazine is properly seated, and listen for the snap - I even try and pull on the magazine to make sure it is retained and won't pull out.

R51Fan2017

I need to take mine apart so I can see it myself. It sounds like to me, that the recoil itself is somehow triggering the release mechanism. I am not sure if something is hitting it in a sensitive area or not. Like I said, I will take mine apart later, and see if I can't come up with a coherent explanation for this.

- Larry Elder

Elveston

Just joined the forum to report that I'm having the same mag drop problem.  I received two mags from Remington a while back after reporting numerous nose dives.  I numbered all 4 mags so I could keep track of any problems.  The nose dives are few and far between now, but failure to fully enter battery still occurs way too often.  A quick tap on the rear of the slide is all it takes, but not ideal.  Finally, 3 of the mags will drop, but do not seem to follow any particular pattern.  It's happened on the first shot and randomly during the mag.  I've verified the mag is secure.  I've watched my thumb to keep it away from the release.  But the only sure way to prevent it so far is to use my off hand under the mag.  I've returned the 3 mags to Remington so they can check them.  I'm not sure if they will simply replace them or send them back with a cure or explanation.  But I'm hopeful.

johnnysR51

I had that problem when I frist fire my r51 and after finally trying only 6 rounds it did not do it again I have it marked and if I load 7 rounds and fire one off the mag drops with only 6 rounds it doesn't happen only 1 mag does that try 6 rounds only and see what happens

johnnysr51
Johnny'sR51

DryrotUK1985

Johnny, did you do the mods to your mags yet? I bent the front follower retaining lip out 1 mm on all 6 of my mags and haven't had any issues with nose dives or mags dropping. My 2 first gen mags do need a good shove to get them to seat. Trimming the followers should set that straight. I am setting a Saturday for that and testing.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Elveston on April 26, 2018, 07:14:17 AM
Just joined the forum to report that I'm having the same mag drop problem.  I received two mags from Remington a while back after reporting numerous nose dives.  I numbered all 4 mags so I could keep track of any problems.  The nose dives are few and far between now, but failure to fully enter battery still occurs way too often.  A quick tap on the rear of the slide is all it takes, but not ideal.  Finally, 3 of the mags will drop, but do not seem to follow any particular pattern.  It's happened on the first shot and randomly during the mag.  I've verified the mag is secure.  I've watched my thumb to keep it away from the release.  But the only sure way to prevent it so far is to use my off hand under the mag.  I've returned the 3 mags to Remington so they can check them.  I'm not sure if they will simply replace them or send them back with a cure or explanation.  But I'm hopeful.

Ok.....first things first. Welcome aboard Elveston! Glad to have you with us! Now about the slide not going into battery. What stage is it not going into battery? Is the slide fully back, half-way, or almost closed? If it is fully or part of the way forward,  I think the cause of that is the Pedersen block is somehow hanging on the rim of the cartridge. The little bump you are giving it is all that is required to get it in battery.

Indy, as far as dropping mags go, take yours apart and try to follow me on this. Sorry in advance for the oversimplified explanation. Your barrel has that tang, lip, whatever you want to call it on the underside. Insert an empty mag into the gun with the upper taken off. You will see how the mag catch works. It simply rotates forward to allow for the magazine to slide in then pops back into the notches in the mag to latch. What I think is happening, is that you barrel is somehow moving too far rearward during recoil, and catching the top of the lip of the magazine in the process. When it does, there is enough wiggle room in there allowing the mag to be bumped rearward just enough to knock it out of the latching mechanism causing it to fall out of the gun. That may or may not be the case, but that is the most logical explanation I can provide with a quickie look at it this morning before leaving the house.

- Larry Elder

SCurmudgeon

Having magazines drop out of the frame was one of the primary complaints of Gen 1 pistols.

I had the mag fall out twice on my first range day with my Gen 2.  I'm fairly certain the magazines were properly seated and that I wasn't pressing the mag release.  I was so worried i had a lemon, but it hasn't happened since.  I haven't performed any magazine mods and I shot it all winter in leagues.

Good luck.